What is the maximal length of usernames on Solaris?
Lukas Ruf
2003-11-18 21:20:39 UTC
Dear all,

does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on Solairs
6,7,8 and above?

Once, I was told that they are limited to 8 characters. Is this
true?

Thanks for any explanation!

Kind regards,

Lukas
ruf at rawip dot org
Chris Newport
2003-11-18 22:55:09 UTC
On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:20 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Lukas Ruf wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on Solairs
> 6,7,8 and above?
>
> Once, I was told that they are limited to 8 characters. Is this
> true?

Thus is not a Solaris issue, it is a Unix standard.
Only the first 8 characters of a username, group, or password
are significant. Everything else should be ignored.

Be warned that janesmith is the same as janesmit

Using more than 8 characters is unsupported and often untested.
Breaking the rule can tickle all manner of obscure bugs.
For example, in HPUX 10.20 a long group name caused backups
to mysteriously and silently fail.

If your lusers want a long email name use a mail alias.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently
deleted. Send only plain text.
Josh McKee
2003-11-18 23:19:45 UTC
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:55:09 +0000, Chris Newport
<***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:20 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Lukas Ruf wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on Solairs
>> 6,7,8 and above?
>>
>> Once, I was told that they are limited to 8 characters. Is this
>> true?
>
>Thus is not a Solaris issue, it is a Unix standard.
>Only the first 8 characters of a username, group, or password
>are significant. Everything else should be ignored.
>
>Be warned that janesmith is the same as janesmit
>
>Using more than 8 characters is unsupported and often untested.
>Breaking the rule can tickle all manner of obscure bugs.
>For example, in HPUX 10.20 a long group name caused backups
>to mysteriously and silently fail.
>
>If your lusers want a long email name use a mail alias.

Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
user instead of the user accommodating the system?

Josh
Chris Newport
2003-11-19 01:31:44 UTC
On Tuesday 18 November 2003 11:19 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:55:09 +0000, Chris Newport
> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:20 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Lukas Ruf wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on Solairs
>>> 6,7,8 and above?
>>>
>>> Once, I was told that they are limited to 8 characters. Is this
>>> true?
>>
>>Thus is not a Solaris issue, it is a Unix standard.
>>Only the first 8 characters of a username, group, or password
>>are significant. Everything else should be ignored.
>>
>>Be warned that janesmith is the same as janesmit
>>
>>Using more than 8 characters is unsupported and often untested.
>>Breaking the rule can tickle all manner of obscure bugs.
>>For example, in HPUX 10.20 a long group name caused backups
>>to mysteriously and silently fail.
>>
>>If your lusers want a long email name use a mail alias.
>
> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
> user instead of the user accommodating the system?

Patience, young grasshopper.
Enlightenment will come with experience.

Josh McKee
2003-11-19 17:04:25 UTC
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:31:44 +0000, Chris Newport
<***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>On Tuesday 18 November 2003 11:19 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:55:09 +0000, Chris Newport
>> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>>>Thus is not a Solaris issue, it is a Unix standard.
>>>Only the first 8 characters of a username, group, or password
>>>are significant. Everything else should be ignored.
>>>
>>>Be warned that janesmith is the same as janesmit
>>>
>>>Using more than 8 characters is unsupported and often untested.
>>>Breaking the rule can tickle all manner of obscure bugs.
>>>For example, in HPUX 10.20 a long group name caused backups
>>>to mysteriously and silently fail.
>>>
>>>If your lusers want a long email name use a mail alias.
>>
>> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
>> user instead of the user accommodating the system?
>
>Patience, young grasshopper.
>Enlightenment will come with experience.

I fail to see how this answered the question. Do you have an answer?

Josh
Chris Newport
2003-11-19 17:26:01 UTC
On Wednesday 19 November 2003 5:04 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:31:44 +0000, Chris Newport
> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 18 November 2003 11:19 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
>>wrote:

>>> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
>>> user instead of the user accommodating the system?
>>
>>Patience, young grasshopper.
>>Enlightenment will come with experience.
>
> I fail to see how this answered the question. Do you have an answer?

The clue has been imparted - 8 characters is the maximum.
This is a hard limit, resistance is futile.
The enlightened sysadmin does not mess with the standards.
On that path lies danger.

Do you wish to absorb the clue as a step on your path to
enlightenment or are you waiting for someone to impart it
with a cluebat after you screw something up ?.

Josh McKee
2003-11-20 14:32:12 UTC
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:26:01 +0000, Chris Newport
<***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>On Wednesday 19 November 2003 5:04 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:31:44 +0000, Chris Newport
>> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>>>Patience, young grasshopper.
>>>Enlightenment will come with experience.
>>
>> I fail to see how this answered the question. Do you have an answer?
>
>The clue has been imparted - 8 characters is the maximum.

I am well aware of this.

>This is a hard limit, resistance is futile.

Resistance? What resistance are you referring to?

>The enlightened sysadmin does not mess with the standards.

Who said anything about messing with standards?

>On that path lies danger.
>
>Do you wish to absorb the clue as a step on your path to
>enlightenment or are you waiting for someone to impart it
>with a cluebat after you screw something up ?.

Who said anything about messing with the standard? I am merely
inquiring into your classification of users who want longer than 8
characters in their user ID as losers. I don't think that it is
unreasonable for a user to want to use what works best for them and
not what works best for the system. Computers should work for the
user, not the other way around. If the standard is limiting perhaps
the standard should be altered to accommodate the users requirements.

Josh
Michael Vilain
2003-11-19 01:33:51 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:55:09 +0000, Chris Newport
> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:20 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Lukas Ruf wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on Solairs
> >> 6,7,8 and above?
> >>
> >> Once, I was told that they are limited to 8 characters. Is this
> >> true?
> >
> >Thus is not a Solaris issue, it is a Unix standard.
> >Only the first 8 characters of a username, group, or password
> >are significant. Everything else should be ignored.
> >
> >Be warned that janesmith is the same as janesmit
> >
> >Using more than 8 characters is unsupported and often untested.
> >Breaking the rule can tickle all manner of obscure bugs.
> >For example, in HPUX 10.20 a long group name caused backups
> >to mysteriously and silently fail.
> >
> >If your lusers want a long email name use a mail alias.
>
> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
> user instead of the user accommodating the system?

In this case, the users must accomodate the system, since it's a hard
limit. If you think it's cost effective to spend time modifying Solaris
and all the parts affected by this to accomedate usernames, passwords
and groups > 8 characters, then by all means have fun.

I, personally, like to stay within standards. The lowest common
denominator for this namespace is 8 characters. Some vendors support
larger names, some only support 8 characters.

YMMV.

Josh McKee
2003-11-19 16:54:46 UTC
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:33:51 -0800, "Michael Vilain
<***@spamcop.net>" wrote:

>In article <***@4ax.com>,
> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:55:09 +0000, Chris Newport
>> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>> >Thus is not a Solaris issue, it is a Unix standard.
>> >Only the first 8 characters of a username, group, or password
>> >are significant. Everything else should be ignored.
>> >
>> >Be warned that janesmith is the same as janesmit
>> >
>> >Using more than 8 characters is unsupported and often untested.
>> >Breaking the rule can tickle all manner of obscure bugs.
>> >For example, in HPUX 10.20 a long group name caused backups
>> >to mysteriously and silently fail.
>> >
>> >If your lusers want a long email name use a mail alias.
>>
>> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
>> user instead of the user accommodating the system?
>
>In this case, the users must accomodate the system, since it's a hard
>limit. If you think it's cost effective to spend time modifying Solaris
>and all the parts affected by this to accomedate usernames, passwords
>and groups > 8 characters, then by all means have fun.

The problem I have is Chris' portrayal of the user as a loser because
they wish to use something more descriptive. I fail to see why that is
an unreasonable expectation and warrants the SA calling their
customers losers. Computers are supposed to work for us, not the other
way around.

>I, personally, like to stay within standards. The lowest common
>denominator for this namespace is 8 characters. Some vendors support
>larger names, some only support 8 characters.

And you wonder why Windows is the dominant platform. It may be
technically inferior to UNIX. But it appears to accommodate the user
in the areas that are most important to them.

Josh
pidbel
2003-11-19 17:08:12 UTC
"Josh McKee" <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:33:51 -0800, "Michael Vilain
> <***@spamcop.net>" wrote:
>
> And you wonder why Windows is the dominant platform. It may be
> technically inferior to UNIX. But it appears to accommodate the user
> in the areas that are most important to them.
>
> Josh

Indeed, if you forget the time staring at the blue screen and the daily
security patches you have to install , Windows is accommodating the user
very well ....
By the way , there is also a limitation of speed on the highway and this
without any disavantages for the users ?
Generraly , the most frequent problem with users , is that they forget their
login and password .
So what is the case about the 8 character limitations , as some users
allready can forget his login of one character :-))))

Pidbel
Dragan Cvetkovic
2003-11-19 17:13:54 UTC
"pidbel" <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> writes:

> Generraly , the most frequent problem with users , is that they forget their
> login and password .
> So what is the case about the 8 character limitations , as some users
> allready can forget his login of one character :-))))

Not to mention that they will soon start hating having to type all these
characters every time they login. I think that after some time they would
start wishing their username were (e.g.) jane and not janewithalongsurname.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Josh McKee
2003-11-20 14:40:54 UTC
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:08:12 +0100, "pidbel"
<***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:

>"Josh McKee" <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:33:51 -0800, "Michael Vilain
>> <***@spamcop.net>" wrote:
>>
>> And you wonder why Windows is the dominant platform. It may be
>> technically inferior to UNIX. But it appears to accommodate the user
>> in the areas that are most important to them.
>>
>> Josh
>
>Indeed, if you forget the time staring at the blue screen and the daily
>security patches you have to install , Windows is accommodating the user
>very well ....

Yet Windows still commands a huge share of the market. Why is that?
It's because Windows is giving the user what they want. It should be
obvious that ease of use is what the users want. Reliability and
security are taking a back seat to user friendliness. You can present
your case about the strengths of UNIX and the weaknesses of Windows
all day long. But in the end the user is going to want the user
friendliness of Windows over the reliability of UNIX.

>By the way , there is also a limitation of speed on the highway and this
>without any disavantages for the users ?
>Generraly , the most frequent problem with users , is that they forget their
>login and password .

They probably forget their user ID because it's something cryptic
designed to fit within an 8 character limitation of the system. It
requires the user to adapt to the system and not the other way around.

>So what is the case about the 8 character limitations , as some users
>allready can forget his login of one character :-))))

But if it were their name how likely do you think that they'd forget
it? Probably unlikely.

Josh
Goran Larsson
2003-11-20 14:53:41 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:

> Yet Windows still commands a huge share of the market. Why is that?
> It's because Windows is giving the user what they want.

Can you back that statement with some proof? A far more likely
explanation for the market share is tha fact that it is installed
at the factory on practically every PC sold.

Before MS Windows existed MS-DOS/PC-DOS commanded a huge share
of the market. It was also installed at the factory on practically
every PC sold at that time. No one can say that MS-DOS/PC-DOS gave
the user what they wanted, after all it was abandoned as soon as
MS Windows became installed at the factory.

Göran Larsson http://www.mitt-eget.com/
Josh McKee
2003-11-20 15:37:58 UTC
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:53:41 GMT, ***@invalid.invalid (Goran Larsson)
wrote:

>In article <***@4ax.com>,
>Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
>
>> Yet Windows still commands a huge share of the market. Why is that?
>> It's because Windows is giving the user what they want.
>
>Can you back that statement with some proof?

I don't have any actual numbers but I think it should be obvious that
people are going to prefer the user friendliness of Windows over UNIX.
This should go without saying.

>A far more likely explanation for the market share is tha fact that it is installed
>at the factory on practically every PC sold.
>
>Before MS Windows existed MS-DOS/PC-DOS commanded a huge share
>of the market. It was also installed at the factory on practically
>every PC sold at that time. No one can say that MS-DOS/PC-DOS gave
>the user what they wanted, after all it was abandoned as soon as
>MS Windows became installed at the factory.

My assertion is that Windows is offering more of what users want. The
abandonment of MS-DOS to Windows would appear to support that
assertion. Windows offered more of what users wanted over MS-DOS.

Josh
pidbel
2003-11-20 16:44:13 UTC
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:08:12 +0100, "pidbel"
> <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:
.> Yet Windows still commands a huge share of the market. Why is that?

It is not because you have the bigest that you are the best .....

> It's because Windows is giving the user what they want. It should be
> obvious that ease of use is what the users want. Reliability and
> security are taking a back seat to user friendliness. You can present
> your case about the strengths of UNIX and the weaknesses of Windows
> all day long. But in the end the user is going to want the user
> friendliness of Windows over the reliability of UNIX.

Windows is only given users what Bill Gates want to give to them . If you
want to add something to the
system you cannot as the code is still confidential ( think about the
complaint of the CEE against Microsoft ).
By the way , windows is only an application which is Gates call an operating
system .
Here I say it again : blue screen . Ask the users around you and I think you
will agree if you are not staying the whole day at your manager's desk .

> >By the way , there is also a limitation of speed on the highway and this
> >without any disavantages for the users ?
> >Generraly , the most frequent problem with users , is that they forget
their
> >login and password .
>
> They probably forget their user ID because it's something cryptic
> designed to fit within an 8 character limitation of the system. It
> requires the user to adapt to the system and not the other way around.
>
> >So what is the case about the 8 character limitations , as some users
> >allready can forget his login of one character :-))))
>
> But if it were their name how likely do you think that they'd forget
> it? Probably unlikely.

Did you allready read a book about computer security and passwords .
OK , I understand now why you have difficulties with Unix and other real
operating systems .
I hope you are not working at a Bank , otherwise you lost now allready
thousands of dollars with your name

Graham Lee
2003-11-20 17:07:34 UTC
pidbel wrote:

> "Josh McKee" <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:08:12 +0100, "pidbel"
>> <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:
> .> Yet Windows still commands a huge share of the market. Why is that?
>
> It is not because you have the bigest that you are the best .....
>

>> It's because Windows is giving the user what they want. It should be
>> obvious that ease of use is what the users want. Reliability and
>> security are taking a back seat to user friendliness. You can present
>> your case about the strengths of UNIX and the weaknesses of Windows
>> all day long. But in the end the user is going to want the user
>> friendliness of Windows over the reliability of UNIX.
>>
> Windows is only given users what Bill Gates want to give to them . If you
> want to add something to the
> system you cannot as the code is still confidential ( think about the
> complaint of the CEE against Microsoft ).

The Solaris code is also confidential, isn't it? As was SunOS', IIRC.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Dragan Cvetkovic
2003-11-20 17:32:16 UTC
Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> writes:

>> Windows is only given users what Bill Gates want to give to them . If you
>> want to add something to the
>> system you cannot as the code is still confidential ( think about the
>> complaint of the CEE against Microsoft ).
>
> The Solaris code is also confidential, isn't it? As was SunOS', IIRC.

Not if you are an university. And Solaris 8 source code was available for
some time.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Alan Coopersmith
2003-11-20 21:53:11 UTC
***@gmx.net writes in comp.sys.sun.admin:
|Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> writes:
|
|>> Windows is only given users what Bill Gates want to give to them . If you
|>> want to add something to the
|>> system you cannot as the code is still confidential ( think about the
|>> complaint of the CEE against Microsoft ).
|>
|> The Solaris code is also confidential, isn't it? As was SunOS', IIRC.
|
|Not if you are an university. And Solaris 8 source code was available for
|some time.

The license for both of those still require you to keep the bits
confidential and not share with others.

Alan Coopersmith ***@alum.calberkeley.org
http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: ***@Sun.COM
Josh McKee
2003-11-21 20:08:01 UTC
In article <bpiqs3$cfb$***@news-reader1.wanadoo.fr>,
"pidbel" <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:

> "Josh McKee" <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:08:12 +0100, "pidbel"
> > <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:
> .> Yet Windows still commands a huge share of the market. Why is that?
>
> It is not because you have the bigest that you are the best .....

That depends on how you define "best". What is best?

> > It's because Windows is giving the user what they want. It should be
> > obvious that ease of use is what the users want. Reliability and
> > security are taking a back seat to user friendliness. You can present
> > your case about the strengths of UNIX and the weaknesses of Windows
> > all day long. But in the end the user is going to want the user
> > friendliness of Windows over the reliability of UNIX.
> >
> Windows is only given users what Bill Gates want to give to them .

It appears that is giving them what they want. Thus the reason for
Microsoft's huge market share.

> If you want to add something to the
> system you cannot as the code is still confidential ( think about the
> complaint of the CEE against Microsoft ).

I don't think that most users want to add something to the OS. They want
someone to provide them with an OS that works the way they want. And it
appears that Microsoft has done a reasonable job of delivering that.

> By the way , windows is only an application which is Gates call an operating
> system .
> Here I say it again : blue screen . Ask the users around you and I think you
> will agree if you are not staying the whole day at your manager's desk .

I'm not here to debate the strengths and weaknesses of Windows. Please
do try and stay on the subject at hand. I'm merely stating that despite
it's technical flaws Windows appears to be giving users what they want.
And what they want appears to be a user friendly OS that is not as
reliable over a less user friendly OS that is very reliable.

> > >By the way , there is also a limitation of speed on the highway and this
> > >without any disavantages for the users ?
> > >Generraly , the most frequent problem with users , is that they forget
> their
> > >login and password .
> >
> > They probably forget their user ID because it's something cryptic
> > designed to fit within an 8 character limitation of the system. It
> > requires the user to adapt to the system and not the other way around.
> >
> > >So what is the case about the 8 character limitations , as some users
> > >allready can forget his login of one character :-))))
> >
> > But if it were their name how likely do you think that they'd forget
> > it? Probably unlikely.
>
> Did you allready read a book about computer security and passwords .

Non-issue. My comments aren't made with the idea of security in mind.
That's not the focus of this discussion.

> OK , I understand now why you have difficulties with Unix and other real
> operating systems .

Yeah, I get that a lot from people in this newsgroup and then eventually
end up explaining UNIX to them. Kind of funny if you ask me.

> I hope you are not working at a Bank , otherwise you lost now allready
> thousands of dollars with your name

Strawman. Get back to me when you can address the topic being discussed.

Josh
Alan Coopersmith
2003-11-19 22:23:01 UTC
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes in comp.sys.sun.admin:
|The problem I have is Chris' portrayal of the user as a loser because
|they wish to use something more descriptive. I fail to see why that is
|an unreasonable expectation and warrants the SA calling their
|customers losers. Computers are supposed to work for us, not the other
|way around.

Don't think of it as a limitation, think of it as an aid in reducing
carpal tunnel syndrome. Why would users want to type even longer
usernames everytime they login?

Chris Newport
2003-11-19 23:23:00 UTC
On Wednesday 19 November 2003 4:54 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
wrote:

>>> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
>>> user instead of the user accommodating the system?
>>
>>In this case, the users must accomodate the system, since it's a hard
>>limit. If you think it's cost effective to spend time modifying Solaris
>>and all the parts affected by this to accomedate usernames, passwords
>>and groups > 8 characters, then by all means have fun.
>
> The problem I have is Chris' portrayal of the user as a loser because
> they wish to use something more descriptive. I fail to see why that is
> an unreasonable expectation and warrants the SA calling their
> customers losers. Computers are supposed to work for us, not the other
> way around.

Oh purleeeese !

Are you lysdexic ?.
Can you tell the difference between luser and loser ?
The two terms are not the same, although they often overlap.

Your duty as a sysadmin is to defend the system from the
foolishness of the lusers who use the system but lack
the clue levels required to ensure optimum reliability and
tranquility. You should be the keeper of the clue, imparting it
to those acolytes who aspire to enlightenment. You are also
the BOFH, administering the LART to those impervious to the clue.

In the cited case, a luser wants to compromise the system by
breaking the standards. It is your duty to defend the system
by not pandering to such foolishness. You are not paid to be
popular, you are paid to ensure the reliability of the system.
The simple solution is to educate the luser and impart the clue
that his email address need not be the same as his login name.
Offer him an alias, subject to RFC compliance and whatever
company standards may apply.
Think of this as a full name and a short name.

Josh McKee
2003-11-20 14:50:51 UTC
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:23:00 +0000, Chris Newport
<***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>>>In this case, the users must accomodate the system, since it's a hard
>>>limit. If you think it's cost effective to spend time modifying Solaris
>>>and all the parts affected by this to accomedate usernames, passwords
>>>and groups > 8 characters, then by all means have fun.
>>
>> The problem I have is Chris' portrayal of the user as a loser because
>> they wish to use something more descriptive. I fail to see why that is
>> an unreasonable expectation and warrants the SA calling their
>> customers losers. Computers are supposed to work for us, not the other
>> way around.
>
>Oh purleeeese !
>
>Are you lysdexic ?.
>Can you tell the difference between luser and loser ?

No.

>The two terms are not the same, although they often overlap.

Perhaps you'd be willing to explain why loser and luser are not, for
all intents and purposes, the same? According to dictionary.com they
appear to be synonymous.

>Your duty as a sysadmin is to defend the system from the
>foolishness of the lusers who use the system but lack
>the clue levels required to ensure optimum reliability and
>tranquility.

I'm not disagreeing with your obligation as a system admin. What I am
disagreeing with is your classification of the user as a loser.
Especially when they may not be aware of the limitation. It's your job
to know...not theirs.

>You should be the keeper of the clue, imparting it
>to those acolytes who aspire to enlightenment. You are also
>the BOFH, administering the LART to those impervious to the clue.
>
>In the cited case, a luser wants to compromise the system by
>breaking the standards.

What post are you referring to? The OP was making an inquiry as to
what the standard was. I saw nothing in the post that indicated
*anyone* wanted to break the standard.

>It is your duty to defend the system by not pandering to such foolishness.

We're not in disagreement on this. What is your point?

>You are not paid to be popular, you are paid to ensure the reliability of
>the system.

But, IMO, you should not go around calling people lusers because they
probably aren't even aware that there is a limitation.

>The simple solution is to educate the luser and impart the clue
>that his email address need not be the same as his login name.

Nothing wrong with that...except that you're classifying them as
losers instead of users. I disagree with that. Especially when the
computer should accommodate the user and not the user having to
accommodate the system. Do you consider that unreasonable?

Josh

Graham Lee
2003-11-20 16:02:05 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:23:00 +0000, Chris Newport
> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>>> The problem I have is Chris' portrayal of the user as a loser because
>>> they wish to use something more descriptive. I fail to see why that is
>>> an unreasonable expectation and warrants the SA calling their
>>> customers losers. Computers are supposed to work for us, not the other
>>> way around.
>>
>>Oh purleeeese !
>>
>>Are you lysdexic ?.
>>Can you tell the difference between luser and loser ?
>
> No.
>
>>The two terms are not the same, although they often overlap.
>
> Perhaps you'd be willing to explain why loser and luser are not, for
> all intents and purposes, the same? According to dictionary.com they
> appear to be synonymous.

[pasted from the time I explained this earlier in the thread]
> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
> user instead of the user accommodating the system?

<offtopic>An old BOFH-ism, which I think goes back to a hacked report
program (similar to finger, I expect) on an ITS system. It went from
saying "x users logged in" when you pressed C-z, to saying "x losers logged
in". Some users, apparently, didn't like being called losers, so the
compromise "lusers" was reached. It stuck.

ISTR the help command on ITS was duly renamed "luser", too :)</offtopic>

A luser is therefore somewhere intermediate to loser and user. Perhaps a
standard user, who lacks the clue/patience/ability/wherewithal to find the
answers to trivial questions themselves, but is not sufficiently disliked
to become a loser. Or one who is quite productive, therefore not a loser,
but has *some* loser-ish traits, such as relying on getpwpit(3)[*]. Luser
is often used as a term of endearment in the pub of an evening; whereas
loser is not.

[*] NAME
getpwpit() - get password entry

SYNOPSIS
char *getpwpit(postit *pit,monitor *mon);

DESCRIPTION
getpwpit() retrieves the unencrypted password for the luser whose monitor
is pointed to by mon. The password itself resides on the post-it note
pointed to by pit.

RETURN VALUE
getpwpit() returns the UNencrypted password stored on the post-it note. If
no post-it note can be found, getpwpit() will return NULL and set errno
depending on the error that occurred.

ERRORS
ENOPIT No post-it exists at the monitor specified. This usually results in
a call to sysadmind(8).
ELART The luser has been readjusted so that the password is no longer
stored on a post-it note attached to their monitor.

BUGS
ELART is often not considered to be an error :)
getpwpit() is not thought of as a secure password access method.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Rich Teer
2003-11-20 17:22:05 UTC
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Graham Lee wrote:

> [*] NAME
> getpwpit() - get password entry
>
> SYNOPSIS
> char *getpwpit(postit *pit,monitor *mon);
>
> DESCRIPTION
> getpwpit() retrieves the unencrypted password for the luser whose monitor
> is pointed to by mon. The password itself resides on the post-it note
> pointed to by pit.
>
> RETURN VALUE
> getpwpit() returns the UNencrypted password stored on the post-it note. If
> no post-it note can be found, getpwpit() will return NULL and set errno
> depending on the error that occurred.
>
> ERRORS
> ENOPIT No post-it exists at the monitor specified. This usually results in
> a call to sysadmind(8).
> ELART The luser has been readjusted so that the password is no longer
> stored on a post-it note attached to their monitor.
>
> BUGS
> ELART is often not considered to be an error :)
> getpwpit() is not thought of as a secure password access method.

Now THAT is funny! :-)

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
Rich Teer wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Graham Lee wrote:
>

>>[*] NAME
>> getpwpit() - get password entry
>>
>>SYNOPSIS
>> char *getpwpit(postit *pit,monitor *mon);
>>
>>DESCRIPTION
>> getpwpit() retrieves the unencrypted password for the luser whose monitor
>>is pointed to by mon. The password itself resides on the post-it note
>>pointed to by pit.
>>
>>RETURN VALUE
>> getpwpit() returns the UNencrypted password stored on the post-it note. If
>>no post-it note can be found, getpwpit() will return NULL and set errno
>>depending on the error that occurred.
>>
>>ERRORS
>> ENOPIT No post-it exists at the monitor specified. This usually results in
>>a call to sysadmind(8).
>> ELART The luser has been readjusted so that the password is no longer
>>stored on a post-it note attached to their monitor.
>>
>>BUGS
>> ELART is often not considered to be an error :)
>> getpwpit() is not thought of as a secure password access method.
>

> Now THAT is funny! :-)

I once wrote a Work Instruction for our operators on how they could
locate their arses, using documented hand/arm movements.
Graham Lee
2003-11-21 20:16:03 UTC
Rich Teer wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Graham Lee wrote:
>
>> [*] NAME
>> getpwpit() - get password entry
>>

> Now THAT is funny! :-)

Thanks :). I was thinking; is there a newsgroup or similar where 'manpages'
such as this have a home, so that more like-minded people can read them? I
had a quick look at the bofh.* hierarchy but nothing seemed to spring out.

Cheers.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Rich Teer
2003-11-21 22:20:36 UTC
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Graham Lee wrote:

> Thanks :). I was thinking; is there a newsgroup or similar where 'manpages'
> such as this have a home, so that more like-minded people can read them? I
> had a quick look at the bofh.* hierarchy but nothing seemed to spring out.

rec.humour might be one of them. But I think that sysadmin type
humour is OK here, provided that it isn't too often.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> did thusly spew forth:

>Nothing wrong with that...except that you're classifying them as
>losers instead of users. I disagree with that. Especially when the
>computer should accommodate the user and not the user having to
>accommodate the system. Do you consider that unreasonable?

What you call "height challenged" some of us call "midget". So be it.

Besides, the term goes back to a time when it was common to call
functional design problems "lossage" or to characterize something
that was in need of repair as "losing". You take a user who has
a problem (i.e., something that needs fixed), you have a "losing
user", or l'user or "luser". "Luser" is not fundamentally the same
as a "loser". However, a "luser" transitions to a "loser" by having
way too many problems and an overall disposition of helplessness.

-tom
Josh McKee
2003-11-21 19:58:00 UTC
In article <LKWdnW8V9NemYCGiRVn-***@speakeasy.net>,
Thomas H Jones II <***@xanthia.com> wrote:

> In article <***@4ax.com>,
> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> did thusly spew forth:
> >
> >Nothing wrong with that...except that you're classifying them as
> >losers instead of users. I disagree with that. Especially when the
> >computer should accommodate the user and not the user having to
> >accommodate the system. Do you consider that unreasonable?
>
> What you call "height challenged" some of us call "midget". So be it.

I fail to see the relevance. Could you please clarify what you're trying
to say?

> Besides, the term goes back to a time when it was common to call
> functional design problems "lossage" or to characterize something
> that was in need of repair as "losing". You take a user who has
> a problem (i.e., something that needs fixed), you have a "losing
> user", or l'user or "luser". "Luser" is not fundamentally the same
> as a "loser". However, a "luser" transitions to a "loser" by having
> way too many problems and an overall disposition of helplessness.

Spin it any way that you want. The word "luser" appears to be synonymous
with "loser".

Josh
Graham Lee
2003-11-21 20:15:00 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> In article <LKWdnW8V9NemYCGiRVn-***@speakeasy.net>,
> Thomas H Jones II <***@xanthia.com> wrote:
>
>> Besides, the term goes back to a time when it was common to call
>> functional design problems "lossage" or to characterize something
>> that was in need of repair as "losing". You take a user who has
>> a problem (i.e., something that needs fixed), you have a "losing
>> user", or l'user or "luser". "Luser" is not fundamentally the same
>> as a "loser". However, a "luser" transitions to a "loser" by having
>> way too many problems and an overall disposition of helplessness.
>
> Spin it any way that you want. The word "luser" appears to be synonymous
> with "loser".

Only if you deliberately fail to take into account all of the explanations
about their differences given in this froup as well as elsewhere. Which
you're perfectly entitled to do of course; just don't expect everyone else
to do it too ;).
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Josh McKee
2003-11-21 23:13:17 UTC
In article <bplro6$a6p$***@news.ox.ac.uk>,
Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

> Josh McKee wrote:
>
> > In article <LKWdnW8V9NemYCGiRVn-***@speakeasy.net>,
> > Thomas H Jones II <***@xanthia.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Besides, the term goes back to a time when it was common to call
> >> functional design problems "lossage" or to characterize something
> >> that was in need of repair as "losing". You take a user who has
> >> a problem (i.e., something that needs fixed), you have a "losing
> >> user", or l'user or "luser". "Luser" is not fundamentally the same
> >> as a "loser". However, a "luser" transitions to a "loser" by having
> >> way too many problems and an overall disposition of helplessness.
> >
> > Spin it any way that you want. The word "luser" appears to be synonymous
> > with "loser".
> >

> Only if you deliberately fail to take into account all of the explanations
> about their differences given in this froup as well as elsewhere. Which
> you're perfectly entitled to do of course; just don't expect everyone else
> to do it too ;).

What differences? I haven't seen anything that demonstrates that lusers
isn't just a different wording for "losers". The quote you provided:

"It went from saying "x users logged in" when you pressed C-z, to saying
"x losers logged in". Some users, apparently, didn't like being called
losers, so the compromise "lusers" was reached. It stuck."

Appears to demonstrate that the spelling was changed from "losers" to
"lusers" as a result of a compromise. Perhaps I'm missing something but
the compromise appears to be just as insulting as the original. The only
thing that changed was the spelling. What compromised was reached? Why
not change it back to "x users"? Am I missing something?

Josh
Chris Newport
2003-11-21 23:55:17 UTC
On Friday 21 November 2003 11:13 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:

> Appears to demonstrate that the spelling was changed from "losers" to
> "lusers" as a result of a compromise. Perhaps I'm missing something but
> the compromise appears to be just as insulting as the original. The only
> thing that changed was the spelling. What compromised was reached? Why
> not change it back to "x users"? Am I missing something?

A severe lack of understanding of the Unix sysadmin cultural heritage,
combined with a total lack of any sense of humour.
This is comp.sys.sun.admin which is intended as a forum for Solaris
sysadmins. Maybe you do not belong to this illustrious profession
of caffiene addicted denizens of the data centre ?.

Perhaps a google of the BOFH archives would enlighten you, but a
sense of humour is a prerequisite.

Josh McKee
2003-11-21 23:57:42 UTC
In article <***@callisto>,
Chris Newport <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

> On Friday 21 November 2003 11:13 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:
>

> > Appears to demonstrate that the spelling was changed from "losers" to
> > "lusers" as a result of a compromise. Perhaps I'm missing something but
> > the compromise appears to be just as insulting as the original. The only
> > thing that changed was the spelling. What compromised was reached? Why
> > not change it back to "x users"? Am I missing something?
>
> A severe lack of understanding of the Unix sysadmin cultural heritage,
> combined with a total lack of any sense of humour.
> This is comp.sys.sun.admin which is intended as a forum for Solaris
> sysadmins. Maybe you do not belong to this illustrious profession
> of caffiene addicted denizens of the data centre ?.
>
> Perhaps a google of the BOFH archives would enlighten you, but a
> sense of humour is a prerequisite.

A usual your inability to answer the question isn't surprising.

Josh
Chris Newport
2003-11-22 02:14:58 UTC
On Friday 21 November 2003 11:57 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:

> In article <***@callisto>,
> Chris Newport <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Friday 21 November 2003 11:13 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
>> wrote:
>>

>> > Appears to demonstrate that the spelling was changed from "losers" to
>> > "lusers" as a result of a compromise. Perhaps I'm missing something but
>> > the compromise appears to be just as insulting as the original. The
>> > only thing that changed was the spelling. What compromised was reached?
>> > Why not change it back to "x users"? Am I missing something?
>>
>> A severe lack of understanding of the Unix sysadmin cultural heritage,
>> combined with a total lack of any sense of humour.
>> This is comp.sys.sun.admin which is intended as a forum for Solaris
>> sysadmins. Maybe you do not belong to this illustrious profession
>> of caffiene addicted denizens of the data centre ?.
>>
>> Perhaps a google of the BOFH archives would enlighten you, but a
>> sense of humour is a prerequisite.
>
> A usual your inability to answer the question isn't surprising.

You just dont get it, do you?

Every question has been answered.
Maybe you lack the wit to understand.
Maybe you are trolling.
There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.

pidbel
2003-11-22 08:56:29 UTC
"Chris Newport" <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote in message
> On Friday 21 November 2003 11:57 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
wrote:
> Every question has been answered.
> Maybe you lack the wit to understand.
> Maybe you are trolling.
> There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.

Chris I agree with you .
I tried also to answer this Josh ( or Joshua ), but he is still complaining
about the word loser / luser etc ....
Furthermore , he forget that M$ has a big part on the Market because all PC
are automatically deliverd with Windows on it by every SuperMarket in the
World ( but is not delivered by the reseller , you never knows the customer
could help himself to recover ).
He has also no sense of humor ( read the manpage or understand what is the
word best ) .

It is a pitty that we are know all writing mails within a group which is
helpfull for Unix guys .

I decided to never read any mail from Josh ....
Pidbel
Josh McKee
2003-11-22 15:46:39 UTC
In article <bpn875$ftv$***@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>,
"pidbel" <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:

> "Chris Newport" <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote in message
> > On Friday 21 November 2003 11:57 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
> wrote:
> > Every question has been answered.
> > Maybe you lack the wit to understand.
> > Maybe you are trolling.
> > There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.
> >

> Chris I agree with you .
> I tried also to answer this Josh ( or Joshua ), but he is still complaining
> about the word loser / luser etc ....

You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
losers.

> Furthermore , he forget that M$ has a big part on the Market because all PC
> are automatically deliverd with Windows on it by every SuperMarket in the
> World ( but is not delivered by the reseller , you never knows the customer
> could help himself to recover ).

Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
user friendly interface. You can bury your head in the sand if you'd
like but the reality is that an average user values GUI type interfaces
like Windows over the technical merits of UNIX. That reality. The only
exception may be Mac OS X.

> He has also no sense of humor ( read the manpage or understand what is the
> word best ) .

I've got a great sense of humor. But Chris' response didn't appear to
suggest humor. I asked why he called them lusers and what response did I
get? It certainly wasn't "it was humor and here's why..." Perhaps if
Chris would be so good as to answer a question when asked he may not be
challenged.

> It is a pitty that we are know all writing mails within a group which is
> helpfull for Unix guys .
>
> I decided to never read any mail from Josh ....

That's a shame...you'll probably miss out on a lot of useful information
that I'll probably contribute in the future. Some of you guys are really
thinned skinned. I don't see what I've written as insulting towards
anyone yet you're acting as if I had. Your behavior is more of children
throwing a tantrum.

Josh
Graham Lee
2003-11-22 17:13:50 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> In article <bpn875$ftv$***@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>,
> "pidbel" <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:
>
>> "Chris Newport" <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote in message
>> > On Friday 21 November 2003 11:57 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee
>> wrote:
>> > Every question has been answered.
>> > Maybe you lack the wit to understand.
>> > Maybe you are trolling.
>> > There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.
>> >

>> Chris I agree with you .
>> I tried also to answer this Josh ( or Joshua ), but he is still
>> complaining about the word loser / luser etc ....
>
> You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
> losers.

He doesn't; he refers to users as lusers.

>> Furthermore , he forget that M$ has a big part on the Market because all
>> PC are automatically deliverd with Windows on it by every SuperMarket in
>> the World ( but is not delivered by the reseller , you never knows the
>> customer could help himself to recover ).
>
> Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
> UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
> majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
> user friendly interface.

[first point: due to it *is* much more user friendly interface? Danger Will
Robinson, spurious apostrophe overload!]

Except that, as you semi-point out later, NEXTSTEP->Mac OS X have great user
interfaces. KDE and GNOME are 'not bad', and most people I've exposed them
to think they're perfectly usable. OK, so CDE is a bit rubbish, but at
least it isn't BrokenWindows ;).

Interestingly, a large number of Windows users have come up to me asking for
alternatives, because their computers are unstable, which leads to annoying
freezes and loss of data. People who use work machines[*] respect their
admin more if the machines stay running, so that they can get their jobs
done. UNIX helps my colleagues to love me :). ANd 'Joe Avergae'-type
users are realising that there's more to life than animated paper clips.

> You can bury your head in the sand if you'd
> like but the reality is that an average user values GUI type interfaces
> like Windows over the technical merits of UNIX. That reality. The only
> exception may be Mac OS X.

The average user in my experience seems to value both user-friendliness and
functionality. Mac OS X is only an 'exception' in that it is the only
system on the market to satisfactorily deliver both. That is, unless you
count some GNU/Linux distro that comes bundled with a decent UI and a
stable system, but I don't because of the 'KDOME' problem[**].

>> He has also no sense of humor ( read the manpage or understand what is
>> the word best ) .
>
> I've got a great sense of humor.

I think it's a little presumptuous to assume that you're allowed to decide
that ;).

> But Chris' response didn't appear to
> suggest humor.

Really? The fact that the word 'luser' is a pun (or play on words) seemed
to imply humour. And we're UNIX people around here; "IMPLICIT NONE" is
definitely not an option :). Chris' reply to your post definitely did have
a reek of 'tongue-in-cheek' about it; I'd say that humour was very strongly
suggested.

> I asked why he called them lusers and what response did I
> get? It certainly wasn't "it was humor and here's why..." Perhaps if
> Chris would be so good as to answer a question when asked he may not be
> challenged.

See above.

>> It is a pitty that we are know all writing mails within a group which is
>> helpfull for Unix guys .
>>
>> I decided to never read any mail from Josh ....
>
> That's a shame...you'll probably miss out on a lot of useful information
> that I'll probably contribute in the future.

[paragraph separated for emphasis]

> Some of you guys are really
> thinned skinned. I don't see what I've written as insulting towards
> anyone yet you're acting as if I had. Your behavior is more of children
> throwing a tantrum.

I hope the irony here was intentional :).

[*]'work workstations' seemed a little redundant.
[**]For instance, if you're running KDE and load a GNOME app, it *really*
looks different. Even on Red Hat, before anyone tries that card :P.
Everyone should use GNUstep, that'd solve the problem</holywar>.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Josh McKee
2003-11-22 19:11:11 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:13:50 +0000, Graham Lee
<***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

>Josh McKee wrote:
>
>> In article <bpn875$ftv$***@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>,
>> "pidbel" <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:
>>
>>> "Chris Newport" <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote in message
>>> >

>>> Chris I agree with you .
>>> I tried also to answer this Josh ( or Joshua ), but he is still
>>> complaining about the word loser / luser etc ....
>>
>> You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
>> losers.
>
>He doesn't; he refers to users as lusers.

Which, as far as I can tell, are equivalent.

>>> Furthermore , he forget that M$ has a big part on the Market because all
>>> PC are automatically deliverd with Windows on it by every SuperMarket in
>>> the World ( but is not delivered by the reseller , you never knows the
>>> customer could help himself to recover ).
>>
>> Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
>> UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
>> majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
>> user friendly interface.
>
>[first point: due to it *is* much more user friendly interface? Danger Will
>Robinson, spurious apostrophe overload!]

Pedantic. Do you really have to flame someone for having made such an
trivial mistake? So I used a contraction where one wasn't warranted.
Don't you have a better argument?

>Except that, as you semi-point out later, NEXTSTEP->Mac OS X have great user
>interfaces.

Since I already said this your point would be?

>KDE and GNOME are 'not bad', and most people I've exposed them
>to think they're perfectly usable. OK, so CDE is a bit rubbish, but at
>least it isn't BrokenWindows ;).

Most people prefer Windows of KDE and Gnome. It all goes back to
giving the users what *they*, not you or I, want. And it appears that
Windows is offering them what they want.

>Interestingly, a large number of Windows users have come up to me asking for
>alternatives, because their computers are unstable, which leads to annoying
>freezes and loss of data.

What alternatives do you provide to them?

>People who use work machines[*] respect their
>admin more if the machines stay running, so that they can get their jobs
>done. UNIX helps my colleagues to love me :). ANd 'Joe Avergae'-type
>users are realising that there's more to life than animated paper clips.

That's interesting because the average user appears to prefer Windows'
useability over the stability of UNIX operating systems.

>> You can bury your head in the sand if you'd
>> like but the reality is that an average user values GUI type interfaces
>> like Windows over the technical merits of UNIX. That reality. The only
>> exception may be Mac OS X.
>
>The average user in my experience seems to value both user-friendliness and
>functionality.

When the functionality comes at a cost of user-friendliness the
functionality will take a back seat.

>Mac OS X is only an 'exception' in that it is the only
>system on the market to satisfactorily deliver both. That is, unless you
>count some GNU/Linux distro that comes bundled with a decent UI and a
>stable system, but I don't because of the 'KDOME' problem[**].

I don't consider Linux ready for the average user quite yet. It still
has a way to go before the average user will adopt it. And when the
average user adopts it you'll find that it will essentially offer the
same ease of use that Windows does.

>>> He has also no sense of humor ( read the manpage or understand what is
>>> the word best ) .
>>
>> I've got a great sense of humor.
>
>I think it's a little presumptuous to assume that you're allowed to decide
>that ;).

Why shouldn't I be allowed to decide?

>> But Chris' response didn't appear to
>> suggest humor.
>
>Really? The fact that the word 'luser' is a pun (or play on words) seemed
>to imply humour.

It's a combination of the word loser and user. I see nothing that
implies that it is humor. Do you think that a user would find it funny
that you're labeling them "lusers" instead if "losers"?

>And we're UNIX people around here; "IMPLICIT NONE" is
>definitely not an option :). Chris' reply to your post definitely did have
>a reek of 'tongue-in-cheek' about it; I'd say that humour was very strongly
>suggested.

Chris has yet to answer a number of questions. He got called on
something and now he's trying to weasel his way out of it.

>> I asked why he called them lusers and what response did I
>> get? It certainly wasn't "it was humor and here's why..." Perhaps if
>> Chris would be so good as to answer a question when asked he may not be
>> challenged.
>
>See above.

For?

>>> It is a pitty that we are know all writing mails within a group which is
>>> helpfull for Unix guys .
>>>
>>> I decided to never read any mail from Josh ....
>>
>> That's a shame...you'll probably miss out on a lot of useful information
>> that I'll probably contribute in the future.
>
>[paragraph separated for emphasis]
>
>> Some of you guys are really
>> thinned skinned. I don't see what I've written as insulting towards
>> anyone yet you're acting as if I had. Your behavior is more of children
>> throwing a tantrum.
>
>I hope the irony here was intentional :).

What irony?

Josh

I R A Darth Aggie
2003-11-22 19:46:06 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:13:50 +0000,
Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk>, in
<bpo5gl$4de$***@news.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

+> And we're UNIX people around here; "IMPLICIT NONE" is definitely
+> not an option :).

Here now. As an old f77 hand, I resent that implication.

:-)

James
isn't looking good, either.
Beardy
2003-11-23 13:10:14 UTC
I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:13:50 +0000,
> Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk>, in
> <bpo5gl$4de$***@news.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> +> And we're UNIX people around here; "IMPLICIT NONE" is definitely
> +> not an option :).
>
> Here now. As an old f77 hand, I resent that implication.
>
> :-)
>
> James

COBOL (Completely Over and Beyond Obvious Logic) would punch f77 in the
eye ;-)
Graham Lee
2003-11-22 20:05:43 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:13:50 +0000, Graham Lee
> <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:
>

>>> You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
>>> losers.
>>
>>He doesn't; he refers to users as lusers.
>
> Which, as far as I can tell, are equivalent.

Only should you decide not to take on board the [at least] 2 explicit
explanations otherwise provided in this group, and the presumably many more
available freely on the Internet.

>>> Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
>>> UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
>>> majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
>>> user friendly interface.
>>
>>[first point: due to it *is* much more user friendly interface? Danger
>>[Will
>>Robinson, spurious apostrophe overload!]
>
> Pedantic. Do you really have to flame someone for having made such an
> trivial mistake? So I used a contraction where one wasn't warranted.
> Don't you have a better argument?

It's not a flame, it's a point of correction. One of the skills required in
systems administration is effective communication with the users. If your
correspondence contains errors of grammar, then this communication is
obfuscated. And, as you said, the user shouldn't have to adapt to the
system. They shouldn't be forced to correct for the administrator's
errors.

Yes, I did have a better argument, all 113 lines of it.

>>Except that, as you semi-point out later, NEXTSTEP->Mac OS X have great
>>user interfaces.
>
> Since I already said this your point would be?

NEXTSTEP is a UNIX. It has a good user interface. Better, IMHO, than that
of Windows. So the argument 'Windows has a better user interface than
UNIX' is flawed.

>>KDE and GNOME are 'not bad', and most people I've exposed them
>>to think they're perfectly usable. OK, so CDE is a bit rubbish, but at
>>least it isn't BrokenWindows ;).
>
> Most people prefer Windows of KDE and Gnome. It all goes back to
> giving the users what *they*, not you or I, want. And it appears that
> Windows is offering them what they want.

As I said, in my experience, many Windows users are after something more in
terms of stability and security. I personally have assisted four people
this academic year in trying out GNU/Linux systems on their PCs. One has
switched completely, the other three are still trying it out. None has
said that they doesn't give them as much of what they want as Windows does.

I'm not the only administrator around here (in fact, I am a mere PFY). I
would expect similar stories from other admins in the area, because I doubt
that my experiences are special. I can think off the top of my head of six
people who have switched to Mac recently from Windows PCs. Obviously
Windows was not giving these people what they wanted.

>>Interestingly, a large number of Windows users have come up to me asking
>>for alternatives, because their computers are unstable, which leads to
>>annoying freezes and loss of data.
>
> What alternatives do you provide to them?

I usually ask about their system, and then try and determine a suitable
alternative. After all, I wouldn't want to be advising on a machine I had
no knowledge of. Where possible I try to tune their Windows machine, to
see if the stability can be improved without new software being deployed.
Otherwise, my most frequent recommendation is to try out Knoppix, so that
they can get an idea of how a GNU/Linux+X+KDE system feels without having
to mess about with their hard drives' slices (which is often beyond the ken
of the average user).

>>People who use work machines[*] respect their
>>admin more if the machines stay running, so that they can get their jobs
>>done. UNIX helps my colleagues to love me :). ANd 'Joe Avergae'-type
>>users are realising that there's more to life than animated paper clips.
>
> That's interesting because the average user appears to prefer Windows'
> useability over the stability of UNIX operating systems.

On what do you base that statement? I would be tempted to use the value
W-U, where W is the number of people who have switched from UNIX to Windows
and U is the number of people who have switched from Windows to UNIX,
integrated over a suitable time. However, I don't know where to get
(unbiased) values for either W or U. Especially as you can't consider
"number of Linux distros sold", when some are not paid for.

>>The average user in my experience seems to value both user-friendliness
>>and functionality.
>
> When the functionality comes at a cost of user-friendliness the
> functionality will take a back seat.

Do you have evidence for that? It seems like a bit of a blazé statement to
give without qualification.

>>Mac OS X is only an 'exception' in that it is the only
>>system on the market to satisfactorily deliver both. That is, unless you
>>count some GNU/Linux distro that comes bundled with a decent UI and a
>>stable system, but I don't because of the 'KDOME' problem[**].
>
> I don't consider Linux ready for the average user quite yet. It still
> has a way to go before the average user will adopt it. And when the
> average user adopts it you'll find that it will essentially offer the
> same ease of use that Windows does.

Some of the 'average users' are already toying with Linux, from what I have
seen. Those that do seem to get on with it well.

>>> I've got a great sense of humor.
>>
>>I think it's a little presumptuous to assume that you're allowed to decide
>>that ;).
>
> Why shouldn't I be allowed to decide?

Because humour can only be determined through interaction with a second
party. I would suggest that the decision on the quality of a person's
humour should rest with the majority of those second parties.

>>Really? The fact that the word 'luser' is a pun (or play on words) seemed
>>to imply humour.
>
> It's a combination of the word loser and user. I see nothing that
> implies that it is humor. Do you think that a user would find it funny
> that you're labeling them "lusers" instead if "losers"?

Maybe not. But if they didn't, the majority of people here would probably
suggest that they didn't have a good sense of humour, as use of the word
'luser' is supposed to be humourous.

>>And we're UNIX people around here; "IMPLICIT NONE" is
>>definitely not an option :). Chris' reply to your post definitely did
>>have a reek of 'tongue-in-cheek' about it; I'd say that humour was very
>>strongly suggested.
>
> Chris has yet to answer a number of questions. He got called on
> something and now he's trying to weasel his way out of it.

For your part you also either decided not to, or could not, find out what he
meant for yourself. The word 'luser' is well documented on the internet
and has been part of sysadmin folklore since around 1975.

>>> I asked why he called them lusers and what response did I
>>> get? It certainly wasn't "it was humor and here's why..." Perhaps if
>>> Chris would be so good as to answer a question when asked he may not be
>>> challenged.
>>
>>See above.
>
> For?

My assertion that his response *did* indicate humour. OK, there wasn't a
big pink neon sign with the word "FUNNY" attached, but it was still at
least mildly obvious.

>>> Some of you guys are really
>>> thinned skinned. I don't see what I've written as insulting towards
>>> anyone yet you're acting as if I had. Your behavior is more of children
>>> throwing a tantrum.
>>
>>I hope the irony here was intentional :).
>
> What irony?
>
> Josh

Indeed. I had hoped that wouldn't be the case.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Josh McKee
2003-11-22 21:09:29 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:05:43 +0000, Graham Lee
<***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

>Josh McKee wrote:

>>>He doesn't; he refers to users as lusers.
>>
>> Which, as far as I can tell, are equivalent.
>>

>Only should you decide not to take on board the [at least] 2 explicit
>explanations otherwise provided in this group, and the presumably many more
>available freely on the Internet.

I've read an explicit explanation. And as far as I can tell it didn't
say anything other than "luser" being a compromise. Perhaps I missed
something?

>>>[first point: due to it *is* much more user friendly interface? Danger
>>>[Will
>>>Robinson, spurious apostrophe overload!]
>>
>> Pedantic. Do you really have to flame someone for having made such an
>> trivial mistake? So I used a contraction where one wasn't warranted.
>> Don't you have a better argument?
>
>It's not a flame, it's a point of correction.

It certainly is. One that had absolutely no bearing on the topic being
discussed.

>One of the skills required in systems administration is effective communication
>with the users. If your correspondence contains errors of grammar, then this
>communication is obfuscated.

Only if you want to nit pick instead of arguing the point.

>And, as you said, the user shouldn't have to adapt to the system. They shouldn't
>be forced to correct for the administrator's errors.

This has nothing to do with that point.

>Yes, I did have a better argument, all 113 lines of it.

Then how about leaving the pedantic nit picking out of the discussion?

>>>Except that, as you semi-point out later, NEXTSTEP->Mac OS X have great
>>>user interfaces.
>>
>> Since I already said this your point would be?
>
>NEXTSTEP is a UNIX. It has a good user interface. Better, IMHO, than that
>of Windows. So the argument 'Windows has a better user interface than
>UNIX' is flawed.

I clearly indicated that OS X was probably an exception:

"The only exception may be Mac OS X."

You were well aware of this. So your statement "Windows has a better
user interface than UNIX' is flawed." is nothing more than a straw
man.

>>>KDE and GNOME are 'not bad', and most people I've exposed them
>>>to think they're perfectly usable. OK, so CDE is a bit rubbish, but at
>>>least it isn't BrokenWindows ;).
>>
>> Most people prefer Windows of KDE and Gnome. It all goes back to
>> giving the users what *they*, not you or I, want. And it appears that
>> Windows is offering them what they want.
>
>As I said, in my experience, many Windows users are after something more in
>terms of stability and security.

Uh huh...you just keep believing that. While I'm certain that they
want more stability and security they're not willing to forego
useability to obtain it. Otherwise I think that they'd have dropped
Windows a long time ago.

>I personally have assisted four people this academic year in trying out GNU/Linux
>systems on their PCs. One has switched completely, the other three are still trying it out.
>None has said that they doesn't give them as much of what they want as Windows does.

Four whole people! Well you've certainly put me in my place.

>I'm not the only administrator around here (in fact, I am a mere PFY). I
>would expect similar stories from other admins in the area, because I doubt
>that my experiences are special. I can think off the top of my head of six
>people who have switched to Mac recently from Windows PCs. Obviously
>Windows was not giving these people what they wanted.

Windows may have been giving them what they wanted...until something
better came along. This is no different than the MS-DOS example. Maybe
in the future UNIX (i.e. non-OS X systems) may be a better fit for
users. But I would be willing to bet that system will look a lot more
like Windows (for example letting the user choose whatever user ID
they want to use instead of limiting it to eight characters).

>>>Interestingly, a large number of Windows users have come up to me asking
>>>for alternatives, because their computers are unstable, which leads to
>>>annoying freezes and loss of data.
>>
>> What alternatives do you provide to them?
>
>I usually ask about their system, and then try and determine a suitable
>alternative. After all, I wouldn't want to be advising on a machine I had
>no knowledge of. Where possible I try to tune their Windows machine, to
>see if the stability can be improved without new software being deployed.
>Otherwise, my most frequent recommendation is to try out Knoppix, so that
>they can get an idea of how a GNU/Linux+X+KDE system feels without having
>to mess about with their hard drives' slices (which is often beyond the ken
>of the average user).

Why not just switch them to Linux and be done with it? Why waste time
with trying to tune Windows and deal with Knoppix? Just install it and
be done with it.

>>>People who use work machines[*] respect their
>>>admin more if the machines stay running, so that they can get their jobs
>>>done. UNIX helps my colleagues to love me :). ANd 'Joe Avergae'-type
>>>users are realising that there's more to life than animated paper clips.
>>
>> That's interesting because the average user appears to prefer Windows'
>> useability over the stability of UNIX operating systems.
>
>On what do you base that statement?

The fact that I have tried to migrate people from Windows to Linux.
You can pretend all you want that people like Linux. When it comes
down to it they prefer Windows' ease of use. Why are three of the four
people you mentioned above still trying it out? Why haven't they just
made the switch? What are there only four out of how many people
trying Linux?

While my "evidence" certainly won't count as scientific there's a lot
to be said that people aren't switching in droves to Linux.

>I would be tempted to use the value W-U, where W is the number of people
>who have switched from UNIX to Windows
>and U is the number of people who have switched from Windows to UNIX,
>integrated over a suitable time. However, I don't know where to get
>(unbiased) values for either W or U. Especially as you can't consider
>"number of Linux distros sold", when some are not paid for.
>

>>>The average user in my experience seems to value both user-friendliness
>>>and functionality.
>>
>> When the functionality comes at a cost of user-friendliness the
>> functionality will take a back seat.
>>

>Do you have evidence for that?

Certainly. Take the current Linux distributions for example. Haven't
their user interfaces improved over the years? They've become a lot
more user friendly. And as the UI improves people are more have
adopted them. But the stability of Linux has been present in Linux
since the beginning. So which do you think has contributed more to
Linux's current success? The UI, which has improved steadily over
time, of the stability, which has been present almost from the
beginning?

>It seems like a bit of a blazé statement to give without qualification.

It certainly would...to someone who wants to bury their head in the
sand. There's a lot of empirical evidence to suggest that ease of use
is more of a priority to the average user than is stability.

>>>Mac OS X is only an 'exception' in that it is the only
>>>system on the market to satisfactorily deliver both. That is, unless you
>>>count some GNU/Linux distro that comes bundled with a decent UI and a
>>>stable system, but I don't because of the 'KDOME' problem[**].
>>
>> I don't consider Linux ready for the average user quite yet. It still
>> has a way to go before the average user will adopt it. And when the
>> average user adopts it you'll find that it will essentially offer the
>> same ease of use that Windows does.
>
>Some of the 'average users' are already toying with Linux, from what I have
>seen. Those that do seem to get on with it well.

Toying? Why only toying? What not using? Most of the average users I
know are not toying with Windows...they're using it.

But my above point remains. I would be that most of these average
users who are toying with it are doing so because of the improvements
to the user interface...not the stability of the system

>>>I think it's a little presumptuous to assume that you're allowed to decide
>>>that ;).
>>
>> Why shouldn't I be allowed to decide?
>>

>Because humour can only be determined through interaction with a second
>party. I would suggest that the decision on the quality of a person's
>humour should rest with the majority of those second parties.

Since you don't know me you're in no position to comment if I have a
sense of humor.

>>>Really? The fact that the word 'luser' is a pun (or play on words) seemed
>>>to imply humour.
>>
>> It's a combination of the word loser and user. I see nothing that
>> implies that it is humor. Do you think that a user would find it funny
>> that you're labeling them "lusers" instead if "losers"?
>
>Maybe not. But if they didn't, the majority of people here would probably
>suggest that they didn't have a good sense of humour, as use of the word
>'luser' is supposed to be humourous.

I would bet that if you continuously called them lusers that they
would get tired of it...no matter how good humored they were.

>>>And we're UNIX people around here; "IMPLICIT NONE" is
>>>definitely not an option :). Chris' reply to your post definitely did
>>>have a reek of 'tongue-in-cheek' about it; I'd say that humour was very
>>>strongly suggested.
>>
>> Chris has yet to answer a number of questions. He got called on
>> something and now he's trying to weasel his way out of it.
>
>For your part you also either decided not to, or could not, find out what he
>meant for yourself.

It was obvious what he meant. He even stated so...and it wasn't humor
(even though he did try and weasel out of it with the humor angle).

>The word 'luser' is well documented on the internet
>and has been part of sysadmin folklore since around 1975.

>>>See above.
>>
>> For?
>
>My assertion that his response *did* indicate humour. OK, there wasn't a
>big pink neon sign with the word "FUNNY" attached, but it was still at
>least mildly obvious.

Looks like he failed to effectively communicate with the user and as a
result his communication was obfuscated. Perhaps that's why I *asked*
why he called them lusers? And how did he respond:

"Patience, young grasshopper.
Enlightenment will come with experience."

To which I responded:

"I fail to see how this answered the question. Do you have an answer?"

And Chris subsequently answered:

"The clue has been imparted - 8 characters is the maximum.
This is a hard limit, resistance is futile.
The enlightened sysadmin does not mess with the standards.
On that path lies danger.

Do you wish to absorb the clue as a step on your path to
enlightenment or are you waiting for someone to impart it
with a cluebat after you screw something up ?."

His responses did not indicate that humor but rather a foolish user
who was trying to break standards.

Spin it as you like it seems obvious to me that Chris was insulting
the user for trying to break the standard. Otherwise why didn't he
just say that he was joking?

>>>I hope the irony here was intentional :).
>>
>> What irony?
>>
>> Josh
>>

>Indeed. I had hoped that wouldn't be the case.

Hoped that what wouldn't be the case?

Josh
Chris Newport
2003-11-22 17:34:07 UTC
On Saturday 22 November 2003 3:46 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:

>> Chris I agree with you .
>> I tried also to answer this Josh ( or Joshua ), but he is still
>> complaining about the word loser / luser etc ....
>
> You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
> losers.

Oh dear, deliberate false accusations ... time to shout....

NO I DID NOT, DUMKOMPF.

Please remove your head from your arse and read what I wrote, not
what you misread.

Luser != loser.
Luser == lame user
Users wanted long login names
QED

Josh McKee
2003-11-22 19:13:37 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:34:07 +0000, Chris Newport
<***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

>On Saturday 22 November 2003 3:46 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:
>

>>> Chris I agree with you .
>>> I tried also to answer this Josh ( or Joshua ), but he is still
>>> complaining about the word loser / luser etc ....
>>
>> You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
>> losers.
>
>Oh dear, deliberate false accusations ... time to shout....
>
>NO I DID NOT, DUMKOMPF.
>
>Please remove your head from your arse and read what I wrote, not
>what you misread.
>
>Luser != loser.
>Luser == lame user

So much for the humor aspect. And this is preferable to the user how?

>Users wanted long login names

As was pointed out to you already: The OP wanted to know what the
maximum length could be. I saw nothing that stated a preference to
long names. Just an inquiry as to what the maximum length could be.

And the problem with wanting a long user name is? As I said earlier:
The system should accommodate the user, not the user accommodating the
system. What is your problem with that?

Josh

Glenn
2003-11-23 14:58:06 UTC
> + On 22-Nov-03 20:13:37
+Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote

>>> You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
>>> losers.
>>
>>Oh dear, deliberate false accusations ... time to shout....
>>
>>NO I DID NOT, DUMKOMPF.
>>
>>Please remove your head from your arse and read what I wrote, not
>>what you misread.
>>
>>Luser != loser.
>>Luser == lame user

>So much for the humor aspect. And this is preferable to the user how?

You never noticed that you was the ONLY person that complained about
this ? ..In such cases you probably should give it a thought and
maybe com up with "Ah, maybe I'm the one being wrong".

In my world (and I work as a sysadmin) lusers are either all the users
that doesnt have root/admin principals (We use Kerberos so an /admin
principal is "higher" than /root) Or particular stupid users.

I really cant understand why someone have a hangup on this ?

Do you really think the luser..users care as long as the system works ?

>>Users wanted long login names

>As was pointed out to you already: The OP wanted to know what the
>maximum length could be. I saw nothing that stated a preference to
>long names. Just an inquiry as to what the maximum length could be.

And that question was answeared several times.

>And the problem with wanting a long user name is? As I said earlier:

It's only if you translate luser to "Stupid idiot" that this becomes
a question, and by some reason you was the only person that did this.

>The system should accommodate the user, not the user accommodating the
>system. What is your problem with that?

It was you that started this, that was no part of the original
question OR the reply to the original question.
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 22:30:00 UTC
On 23 Nov 2003 15:58:6 +0100, Glenn
<***@IREPORTEVERYSPAMMER.canit.se> wrote:

>> + On 22-Nov-03 20:13:37
> +Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote

>>>Oh dear, deliberate false accusations ... time to shout....
>>>
>>>NO I DID NOT, DUMKOMPF.
>>>
>>>Please remove your head from your arse and read what I wrote, not
>>>what you misread.
>>>
>>>Luser != loser.
>>>Luser == lame user
>
>>So much for the humor aspect. And this is preferable to the user how?
>

>You never noticed that you was the ONLY person that complained about
>this ?

I didn't complain...I asked Chris why he referred to them as lusers:

"Why are you calling them lusers?"

Chris did not respond with "it was done in jest". Instead he
eventually stated that "lusers" were "lame users". By doing this Chris
indicated that his intent was to be derogatory. Which appears to fit
his character.

>..In such cases you probably should give it a thought and
>maybe com up with "Ah, maybe I'm the one being wrong".

Wrong about what? I *asked* him a question. How can I be wrong about
asking a question?

>In my world (and I work as a sysadmin) lusers are either all the users
>that doesnt have root/admin principals (We use Kerberos so an /admin
>principal is "higher" than /root) Or particular stupid users.

And given the context, that Chris felt that they wanted to break the
standard (why this is I do not know) it seems more likely that he was
referring to the as particularly stupid users:

"The clue has been imparted - 8 characters is the maximum.
This is a hard limit, resistance is futile.
The enlightened sysadmin does not mess with the standards.
On that path lies danger.

Do you wish to absorb the clue as a step on your path to
enlightenment or are you waiting for someone to impart it
with a cluebat after you screw something up ?."

Having prior dealings with Chris about breaking standards I am fully
aware that his intent is to be derogatory to anyone that doesn't agree
with him. Please see the root shell debates for the history. It's
plainly obvious from the context that Chris wasn't trying to be
humors. For some unknown reason Chris arrived at the conclusion that
the OP was trying to break a standard and Chris' response to anyone
trying to do something different is to be derogatory.

>I really cant understand why someone have a hangup on this ?
>
>Do you really think the luser..users care as long as the system works ?

Yes...I bet they would. Perhaps they find it humors a few times but it
would quickly wear on them.

>>>Users wanted long login names
>
>>As was pointed out to you already: The OP wanted to know what the
>>maximum length could be. I saw nothing that stated a preference to
>>long names. Just an inquiry as to what the maximum length could be.
>
>And that question was answeared several times.

Yes it was. Your point?

>>And the problem with wanting a long user name is? As I said earlier:
>
>It's only if you translate luser to "Stupid idiot" that this becomes
>a question, and by some reason you was the only person that did this.

Because I know Chris' history and I read the context. And he confirmed
it when he said that "luser" was equal to "lame user". Now are we
going to argue that "lame user" is somehow humors too? You can bury
your head in the sand but Chris was being insulting. Chris doesn't
appear to have a high tolerance for beginners.

>>The system should accommodate the user, not the user accommodating the
>>system. What is your problem with that?
>
>It was you that started this, that was no part of the original
>question OR the reply to the original question.

Nope, Chris started it when he referred to users as lusers for wanting
to use what works for them, not what works for the system.

Josh
Graham Lee
2003-11-24 18:36:08 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> Chris did not respond with "it was done in jest". Instead he
> eventually stated that "lusers" were "lame users". By doing this Chris
> indicated that his intent was to be derogatory. Which appears to fit
> his character.

You do not know Chris, you cannot comment on his character.
Prior Art: "Since you don't know me you're in no position to comment[...]"
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Chris Newport
2003-11-24 23:28:49 UTC
On Monday 24 November 2003 6:36 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Graham Lee wrote:

> Josh McKee wrote:
>

>> Chris did not respond with "it was done in jest". Instead he
>> eventually stated that "lusers" were "lame users". By doing this Chris
>> indicated that his intent was to be derogatory. Which appears to fit
>> his character.
>>

> You do not know Chris, you cannot comment on his character.
> Prior Art: "Since you don't know me you're in no position to comment[...]"

Indeed, if you read Josh's recent diatribes you will realise he has
subjected us to this idiotic thread for no better reason than the
fact that he holds a grudge for the well deserved comments he
received from me OVER A YEAR AGO when he tried to convince the
world that it is a good idea to change root's default shell.
Responding to his insults is a futile exercise in troll feeding.

The world can see that he has revealed himself as one rather
sick and vindictive bunny. I fully expect him to come back to
have the last word, he is welcome to it if it makes him feel
better.

Those who know me will be looking forward to the day when his
employer calls me to sort out the balagan which his systems
will inevitably degenerate into. My fee will, as usual, be enough
to convince said employer that it would be cheaper to employ
professional admins who understand the meaning of "Best Practice".

Huge
2003-11-22 16:13:57 UTC
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:

[18 lines snipped]

>You bet...I haven't been shown a reason why Chris is calling his users
>losers.

You, however, have shown plenty of reasons why you're a prime killfile
candidate.

Bye.

Steve Bellenot
2003-11-22 22:32:27 UTC
In article <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com>,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:

>Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
>UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
>majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
>user friendly interface. You can bury your head in the sand if you'd
>like but the reality is that an average user values GUI type interfaces
>like Windows over the technical merits of UNIX. That reality. The only
>exception may be Mac OS X.

There are no average people. The computer world seems to have two kinds,
distinctly above average and distinctly below.

I've constantly heard claims that windows is more user friendly but never
any data to really prove it. Once windows 95 got close to the clear lead
the Mac GUI had, all the OSes became more or less the same GUIs engines.
It is driving different cars, sitting in front of a new car requires
some changes, but you get use to it.

To most business people all the computers are the same. Heck many people
never use anything but a browser.

I'm fact, I don't think there are many people around that picked their
computer system. We all went to work somewhere, and use whatever computers
were there. I know lots of ms people that advised parents to buy the
computer like the one at work because kids could learn new systems faster.
I think they did even acknowledge that the mac was a better choice for the
kids.
--
http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot
bellenot <At/> math.fsu.edu
+1.850.644.7189 (4053fax)
Josh McKee
2003-11-22 23:13:11 UTC
On 22 Nov 2003 22:32:27 GMT, ***@math.fsu.edu (Steve Bellenot)
wrote:

>In article <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com>,
>Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
>>
>>Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
>>UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
>>majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
>>user friendly interface. You can bury your head in the sand if you'd
>>like but the reality is that an average user values GUI type interfaces
>>like Windows over the technical merits of UNIX. That reality. The only
>>exception may be Mac OS X.
>
>There are no average people. The computer world seems to have two kinds,
>distinctly above average and distinctly below.

Only if you want to use the mathematical definition of the word. The
average person will understand that the mathematical definition is not
the appropriate one.

>I've constantly heard claims that windows is more user friendly but never
>any data to really prove it. Once windows 95 got close to the clear lead
>the Mac GUI had, all the OSes became more or less the same GUIs engines.
>It is driving different cars, sitting in front of a new car requires
>some changes, but you get use to it.

They require some changes but not drastic changes. Give an average
user a Windows system and a command line Linux system and I'll bet
that they'll prefer Windows.

>To most business people all the computers are the same. Heck many people
>never use anything but a browser.

I think that they're becoming more the same...they're becoming more
like Windows and Mac OS.

>I'm fact, I don't think there are many people around that picked their
>computer system. We all went to work somewhere, and use whatever computers
>were there.

I bet that given a choice between Windows and CLI based UNIX they
would prefer Windows regardless of what they use at work. I think that
MS-DOS demonstrated this quite well. People used MS-DOS at work
because that's what their employers gave them. When Windows hit the
market the preference was towards Windows. And that's
understandable...it offered a much better UI.

What I find surprising is that you're even questioning this when there
is so much empirical evidence to support it.

>I know lots of ms people that advised parents to buy the
>computer like the one at work because kids could learn new systems faster.
>I think they did even acknowledge that the mac was a better choice for the
>kids.

And why was the Mac a better choice? Could it be that it had a better
UI?

Josh
Rich Teer
2003-11-23 01:29:38 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:

> I bet that given a choice between Windows and CLI based UNIX they

Oh come on! What desktop UNIX (or UNIX-like) system these
days DOESn'T have a GUI?

> would prefer Windows regardless of what they use at work. I think that

I submit that most Windoze user use it because they are
not even aware that there's a choice.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
In article <***@zaphod.rite-group.com>,
Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:
>
> > I bet that given a choice between Windows and CLI based UNIX they
>
> Oh come on! What desktop UNIX (or UNIX-like) system these
> days DOESn'T have a GUI?

I don't know. Why?

> > would prefer Windows regardless of what they use at work. I think that
>
> I submit that most Windoze user use it because they are
> not even aware that there's a choice.

I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.

Josh

BTW - Is your use of the word "Windoze" some hidden humor like "lusers"?
I R A Darth Aggie
2003-11-23 03:05:34 UTC
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:46:06 GMT,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
<jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com> wrote:

+> I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
+> UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.

I submit that you are an idiot.

James
isn't looking good, either.
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 03:31:08 UTC
In article <***@gurcragntba.pbz>,
***@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth Aggie) wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:46:06 GMT,
> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
> <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com> wrote:
>
> +> I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
> +> UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.
>
> I submit that you are an idiot.

Why is that? Because I have a differnce of opinion than you?

Josh
Lon Stowell
2003-11-23 19:43:54 UTC
Approximately 11/22/03 19:05, I R A Darth Aggie uttered for posterity:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:46:06 GMT,
> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
> <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com> wrote:
>
> +> I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
> +> UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.
>
> I submit that you are an idiot.

I submit both of you are correct.
Still a Raiders fan, but no longer sure why.
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 20:50:46 UTC
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:43:54 GMT, Lon Stowell
<***@ComcastPeriod.Net> wrote:

>Approximately 11/22/03 19:05, I R A Darth Aggie uttered for posterity:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:46:06 GMT,
>> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
>> <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com> wrote:
>>
>> +> I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
>> +> UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.
>>
>> I submit that you are an idiot.
>>
> I submit both of you are correct.

That doesn't follow. How can I be correct and an idiot?

Josh
Neil W Rickert
2003-11-23 21:00:33 UTC
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:43:54 GMT, Lon Stowell
><***@ComcastPeriod.Net> wrote:
>>Approximately 11/22/03 19:05, I R A Darth Aggie uttered for posterity:
>>> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
>>> <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com> wrote:

>>> +> I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
>>> +> UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.

>>> I submit that you are an idiot.

>> I submit both of you are correct.

>That doesn't follow. How can I be correct and an idiot?

Perhaps by being correct on a matter that is inconsequential and
irrelevant.
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 21:31:46 UTC
In article <bpr75h$ali$***@husk.cso.niu.edu>,
Neil W Rickert <rickert+***@cs.niu.edu> wrote:

> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:
>
> >On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:43:54 GMT, Lon Stowell
> ><***@ComcastPeriod.Net> wrote:
> >>Approximately 11/22/03 19:05, I R A Darth Aggie uttered for posterity:

> >> I submit both of you are correct.
>
> >That doesn't follow. How can I be correct and an idiot?
>
> Perhaps by being correct on a matter that is inconsequential and
> irrelevant.

Just because you may think that it's inconsequential doesn't make it so.
Your position just goes to demonstrate why UNIX may never become
successful on the desktop: You find inconsequential what the average
user finds very important.

Josh
Neil W Rickert
2003-11-23 22:27:54 UTC
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:
>In article <bpr75h$ali$***@husk.cso.niu.edu>,
> Neil W Rickert <rickert+***@cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:

>> >That doesn't follow. How can I be correct and an idiot?

>> Perhaps by being correct on a matter that is inconsequential and
>> irrelevant.

>Just because you may think that it's inconsequential doesn't make it so.
>Your position just goes to demonstrate why UNIX may never become
>successful on the desktop: You find inconsequential what the average
>user finds very important.

I submit that an average user, given a choice between a CLI based
DOS/windows interface and a GUI interface on unix, would choose unix.

That's exactly as inconsequential and as irrelevant as your statement.

There is one difference though -- I won't be repeating this statement
multiple times, nor acting as if were significant.
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 22:38:38 UTC
On 23 Nov 2003 22:27:54 GMT, Neil W Rickert <rickert+***@cs.niu.edu>
wrote:

>Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:
>>In article <bpr75h$ali$***@husk.cso.niu.edu>,
>> Neil W Rickert <rickert+***@cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>>> Perhaps by being correct on a matter that is inconsequential and
>>> irrelevant.
>
>>Just because you may think that it's inconsequential doesn't make it so.
>>Your position just goes to demonstrate why UNIX may never become
>>successful on the desktop: You find inconsequential what the average
>>user finds very important.
>
>I submit that an average user, given a choice between a CLI based
>DOS/windows interface and a GUI interface on unix, would choose unix.

And I would agree with that.

>That's exactly as inconsequential and as irrelevant as your statement.

There's nothing inconsequential about it. The user interface is a very
important component of any system. You can bury your head in the sand
and it won't change that.

>There is one difference though -- I won't be repeating this statement
>multiple times, nor acting as if were significant.

So?

Josh
Rich Teer
2003-11-23 04:33:10 UTC
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:

> In article <***@zaphod.rite-group.com>,
> Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:
> >
> > > I bet that given a choice between Windows and CLI based UNIX they
> >
> > Oh come on! What desktop UNIX (or UNIX-like) system these
> > days DOESn'T have a GUI?
>
> I don't know. Why?

That's my point. I don't think there is a modern desktop
UNIX (or UNIX-like) system that is soley command line based.
Therefore, you're comparing apples to oranges.

> I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
> UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.

Of course the Windoze users would prefer Windoze - that's what
they're used to! Even that blindingly obvious point aside, I
would agree that users who have never used a computer are more
likely to prefer Windoze over a CLI UNIX. However, I think the
results would be far more evenly distributed when Windoze is
compared against a modern UNIX GUI.

> BTW - Is your use of the word "Windoze" some hidden humor like "lusers"?

No, I mean derogatorially. "lusers" may or may not be derogatory,
depending on context.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:33:10 GMT, Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:
>
>> In article <***@zaphod.rite-group.com>,
>> Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com> wrote:

>> > Oh come on! What desktop UNIX (or UNIX-like) system these
>> > days DOESn'T have a GUI?
>>
>> I don't know. Why?
>
>That's my point. I don't think there is a modern desktop
>UNIX (or UNIX-like) system that is soley command line based.

Did I claim otherwise?

>Therefore, you're comparing apples to oranges.

How so? The stability of a UNIX system is the same regardless of if a
CLI or GUI interface is used is it not?

>> I would submit that Windows users, given a choice between a CLI based
>> UNIX system and Windows, would choose Windows.
>
>Of course the Windoze users would prefer Windoze - that's what
>they're used to! Even that blindingly obvious point aside, I
>would agree that users who have never used a computer are more
>likely to prefer Windoze over a CLI UNIX. However, I think the
>results would be far more evenly distributed when Windoze is
>compared against a modern UNIX GUI.

Don't look now Rich but you've just argued my point. Recall that I
claimed that an easier to use interface is more important to the
average user than a stable system that has a more difficult to use
user interface.

>> BTW - Is your use of the word "Windoze" some hidden humor like "lusers"?
>
>No, I mean derogatorially. "lusers" may or may not be derogatory,
>depending on context.

Exactly...so it appears that I am completely in the right to assume
that Chris was using the term in a derogatory manner.

Josh
Steve Bellenot
2003-11-23 10:36:23 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
>They require some changes but not drastic changes. Give an average
>user a Windows system and a command line Linux system and I'll bet
>that they'll prefer Windows.

Your equation of Unix = command line only hasn't been true since at
least the mid to late 80's. The fact is that the command line needs to
be never used as lots of Mac OS X users know. Heck, the only reason
many Mac users know that there is unix under the hood is because Apple
knows that Unix is thought of as being more stable than any windows
system, and uses the fact in their ads.
+1.850.644.7189 (4053fax)
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 17:28:56 UTC
In article <bpq2j7$nbm$***@news.fsu.edu>,
***@math.fsu.edu (Steve Bellenot) wrote:

> In article <***@4ax.com>,
> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
> >They require some changes but not drastic changes. Give an average
> >user a Windows system and a command line Linux system and I'll bet
> >that they'll prefer Windows.
>
> Your equation of Unix = command line only hasn't been true since at
> least the mid to late 80's.

I am aware of this. Your point?

Josh
g***@gtconnect.net
2003-11-24 17:04:07 UTC
In article <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com>,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:
> In article <bpq2j7$nbm$***@news.fsu.edu>,
> ***@math.fsu.edu (Steve Bellenot) wrote:
>> In article <***@4ax.com>,
>> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
>> >They require some changes but not drastic changes. Give an average
>> >user a Windows system and a command line Linux system and I'll bet
>> >that they'll prefer Windows.
>> Your equation of Unix = command line only hasn't been true since at
>> least the mid to late 80's.
> I am aware of this. Your point?

What's yours?

"But I came here to argue...!
"O this is abuse.."
Josh McKee
2003-11-25 00:45:24 UTC
In article <bSqwb.14855$***@localhost>, ***@gtconnect.net ()
wrote:

> In article <jtmckee-***@netnews.attbi.com>,
> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> writes:
> > In article <bpq2j7$nbm$***@news.fsu.edu>,
> > ***@math.fsu.edu (Steve Bellenot) wrote:
> >> Your equation of Unix = command line only hasn't been true since at
> >> least the mid to late 80's.
> > I am aware of this. Your point?
>
> What's yours?

That the user interface is more important to the average user than the
technical merits of UNIX. And a system that fits the users requirements
is going to be preferred by them. Thus UNIX should try to adapt to the
users wants instead of forcing the user to adapt to the systems
requirements. It's a realls simple concept: Computers should accommodate
us, not the other way around. Do you disagree?

Josh

Huge
2003-11-22 19:07:36 UTC
>Josh McKee wrote:

[30 lines snipped]

>> Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
>> UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
>> majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
>> user friendly interface.

Wrong. It's not more user friendly, it's merely more familiar.

Until very recently, I'd never used Windows in anger, having started on
windowing interfaces with the Xerox Star and Interlisp and moving from
there to Unix systems, mostly Sun. To this day, I find Windows
confusing and frustrating, sometimes to the point of incoherent rage.

>> You can bury your head in the sand if you'd
>> like but the reality is that an average user values GUI type interfaces
>> like Windows over the technical merits of UNIX. That reality.

Not "reality". Ignorance.

Josh McKee
2003-11-22 19:32:38 UTC
On 22 Nov 2003 19:07:36 GMT, ***@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

>>Josh McKee wrote:
>
>[30 lines snipped]
>
>>> Not at all. But if I were to sit down an average person in front of a
>>> UNIX system and a Windows system I would be willing to bet that the
>>> majority of them would prefer the Windows system due to it's much more
>>> user friendly interface.
>
>Wrong. It's not more user friendly, it's merely more familiar.
>
>Until very recently, I'd never used Windows in anger, having started on
>windowing interfaces with the Xerox Star and Interlisp and moving from
>there to Unix systems, mostly Sun. To this day, I find Windows
>confusing and frustrating, sometimes to the point of incoherent rage.

What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?

>>> You can bury your head in the sand if you'd
>>> like but the reality is that an average user values GUI type interfaces
>>> like Windows over the technical merits of UNIX. That reality.
>
>Not "reality". Ignorance.

Bury your head in the sand all you like. I would be willing to bet
that the average user will prefer Windows over the majority of UNIX
GUI's...save for OS X.

Josh
I R A Darth Aggie
2003-11-22 19:52:25 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:32:38 GMT,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
<***@4ax.com> wrote:

+> What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?

The fact that you can't get a decent error message? that applications
can and do fail silently?

+> Bury your head in the sand all you like. I would be willing to bet
+> that the average user will prefer Windows over the majority of UNIX
+> GUI's...save for OS X.

Only because of familiarity. Take someone who hasn't invested time and
effort into using Windows. Set that person in front of one of
KDE/GNOME/CDE/OpenWindows/GnuStep/NeXTStep and let them use it for an
extended period of time. Then sit them in front of a Winbox or OS X
box.

And watch them curse you (and Bill Gates or Steve Jobs) because you
gave them something they're not familiar with.

James
isn't looking good, either.
Josh McKee
2003-11-22 20:08:34 UTC
On 22 Nov 2003 19:52:25 GMT, ***@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth
Aggie) wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:32:38 GMT,
>Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
><***@4ax.com> wrote:
>
>+> What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?
>
>The fact that you can't get a decent error message? that applications
>can and do fail silently?

Please, let's keep this to the discussion at hand.

>+> Bury your head in the sand all you like. I would be willing to bet
>+> that the average user will prefer Windows over the majority of UNIX
>+> GUI's...save for OS X.
>
>Only because of familiarity. Take someone who hasn't invested time and
>effort into using Windows. Set that person in front of one of
>KDE/GNOME/CDE/OpenWindows/GnuStep/NeXTStep and let them use it for an
>extended period of time. Then sit them in front of a Winbox or OS X
>box.
>
>And watch them curse you (and Bill Gates or Steve Jobs) because you
>gave them something they're not familiar with.

I doubt that would be the case. I would bet that the average user
would prefer Windows after becoming familiar with it. I understand
your point...but after becoming familiar with both the user is most
likely going to like Windows. They'll like things like being able to
use their full name for their user ID instead of having it truncated
to eight characters.

Josh
I R A Darth Aggie
2003-11-23 01:19:56 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:08:34 GMT,
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
<***@4ax.com> wrote:
+> On 22 Nov 2003 19:52:25 GMT, ***@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth
+> Aggie) wrote:
+>
+> >On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:32:38 GMT,
+> >Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
+> ><***@4ax.com> wrote:
+> >
+> >+> What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?
+> >
+> >The fact that you can't get a decent error message? that applications
+> >can and do fail silently?
+>
+> Please, let's keep this to the discussion at hand.

What's "user friendly" about an application failing silently?

+> >And watch them curse you (and Bill Gates or Steve Jobs) because you
+> >gave them something they're not familiar with.

+> I doubt that would be the case.

And you have the facts to back this assertion...where?

+> I would bet that the average user would prefer Windows after
+> becoming familiar with it.

And this is based on...what?

+> likely going to like Windows. They'll like things like being able to
+> use their full name for their user ID instead of having it truncated
+> to eight characters.

Oh, sure, that's why they use their full name for their instant
messenger ID's, instead of l33td00d3 or annie69...

James
isn't looking good, either.
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 01:58:59 UTC
In article <***@gurcragntba.pbz>,
***@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth Aggie) wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:08:34 GMT,
> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
> <***@4ax.com> wrote:
> +> On 22 Nov 2003 19:52:25 GMT, ***@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth
> +> Aggie) wrote:
> +>
> +> >On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:32:38 GMT,
> +> >Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net>, in
> +> ><***@4ax.com> wrote:
> +> >
> +> >+> What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?
> +> >
> +> >The fact that you can't get a decent error message? that applications
> +> >can and do fail silently?
> +>
> +> Please, let's keep this to the discussion at hand.
>
> What's "user friendly" about an application failing silently?

We're dicussing how the user interacts with the system. Therefore I
think that it should be obvious that your example falls outside the
scope of the topic at hand. I hope that you're not just engaging in
pedantic nit picking.

> +> >And watch them curse you (and Bill Gates or Steve Jobs) because you
> +> >gave them something they're not familiar with.
>
> +> I doubt that would be the case.
>
> And you have the facts to back this assertion...where?

Imperical data that suggest otherwise. Are you so seriously dillusioned
that you cannot see that Windows offers a much more user friendly
interface than most UNIX systems?

> +> I would bet that the average user would prefer Windows after
> +> becoming familiar with it.
>
> And this is based on...what?

The fact that most computer users use Windows and not UNIX based
operating systems. It should be obvious that the average user wants an
easy to use interface over a stable system. Otherwise the average user
would be using something other than Windows.

> +> likely going to like Windows. They'll like things like being able to
> +> use their full name for their user ID instead of having it truncated
> +> to eight characters.
>
> Oh, sure, that's why they use their full name for their instant
> messenger ID's, instead of l33td00d3 or annie69...

l33td00d3 is a bad example to support your position...it exceeds the
UNIX standard eight character user ID limitation. But it helps to prove
my assertion: that people want user ID that fit them, not the system. I
cannot for the life of me figure out why a lot of people have an issue
with the simple concept that the system should accommodate the user and
not the other way around.

Josh
Rich Teer
2003-11-23 04:40:07 UTC
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:

> > What's "user friendly" about an application failing silently?
>
> We're dicussing how the user interacts with the system. Therefore I
> think that it should be obvious that your example falls outside the

How can how an application fails not be included in a discussion
about how a user interacts with a system? An application that gives
an error message before dying is certainly better for the user
experiance than one that just mysteriously dies.

> The fact that most computer users use Windows and not UNIX based
> operating systems. It should be obvious that the average user wants an
> easy to use interface over a stable system. Otherwise the average user

Windoze is NOT easy to use; it is easy to learn. There's a difference.

If Windoze is so easy to use, why is there a dearth of "Using Windows
made Easy" type books on the market? Surely something that is as easy
to use as you seem to be implying would have no need for such books?
Last time I checked, there wasn't many (if any) "Driving your Car
made Easy" type books.

> would be using something other than Windows.

That presupposes that the average user is even aware of the possiblity
of choice. Most aren't.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
Rich Teer wrote:

<snip>

> If Windoze is so easy to use, why is there a dearth of "Using Windows

dearth? or surfeit?

> made Easy" type books on the market? Surely something that is as easy
> to use as you seem to be implying would have no need for such books?
> Last time I checked, there wasn't many (if any) "Driving your Car
> made Easy" type books.
<snip>

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the
steps are necessary. ...Charlie
pidbel
2003-11-23 09:10:09 UTC
I have decided in a previous mail not to read any mail from Josh about this
discussion anymore.
However, this morning I discovered a whole bunch of responses about this
topic ( 50% coming from him )
My conclusions are :

- he is not listining and always repeating himself
- he does absolutlety not understand humour .
- he doesn't know about the internals of operating systems and security
- he is a TRoll going on spamming a group
- he NEVER give a answer to the first person who asked the technical
question

Here I stop
Pidbel
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 14:23:41 UTC
In article <bpptb0$t4p$***@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>,
"pidbel" <***@pidbel.pidbel.sdf> wrote:

> I have decided in a previous mail not to read any mail from Josh about this
> discussion anymore.
> However, this morning I discovered a whole bunch of responses about this
> topic ( 50% coming from him )
> My conclusions are :
>
> - he is not listining and always repeating himself

Perhaps I am repeating myself because others are not listening? I have
yet to hear a valid explaination despite numerous requests.

> - he does absolutlety not understand humour .

Yeah, that's it. From one thread in a message group you've learned
everything about me.

> - he doesn't know about the internals of operating systems and security

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

> - he is a TRoll going on spamming a group

Yep, that's got to be it.

> - he NEVER give a answer to the first person who asked the technical
> question

Why repeat what was already given?

Josh
Rich Teer
2003-11-23 20:05:18 UTC
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, CJT wrote:

> Rich Teer wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > If Windoze is so easy to use, why is there a dearth of "Using Windows
>
> dearth? or surfeit?

The latter! My mistake...

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
In article <***@zaphod.rite-group.com>,
Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:
>
> > > What's "user friendly" about an application failing silently?
> >
> > We're dicussing how the user interacts with the system. Therefore I
> > think that it should be obvious that your example falls outside the
>
> How can how an application fails not be included in a discussion
> about how a user interacts with a system?

It's not part of the user interfaces. Seriously Rich...I think it is
clear to the average person what is being discussed. Trying to bring
this into the discussion only shows how desperate you guys are.

> An application that gives an error message before dying is certainly
> better for the user experiance than one that just mysteriously dies.

I would agree. But it is not how the user interacts with the system.

> > The fact that most computer users use Windows and not UNIX based
> > operating systems. It should be obvious that the average user wants an
> > easy to use interface over a stable system. Otherwise the average user
>
> Windoze is NOT easy to use; it is easy to learn. There's a difference.

Windows is easier to use. There is plenty of empirical evidence to
support this statement.

> If Windoze is so easy to use, why is there a dearth of "Using Windows
> made Easy" type books on the market?

I never claimed that it was a no brainer to use. I've merely claimed
that it is easier to use than most other operating systems.

> Surely something that is as easy to use as you seem to be implying
> would have no need for such books?

It's easier to use. There's a difference between easier and brain dead
easy.

> Last time I checked, there wasn't many (if any) "Driving your Car
> made Easy" type books.

Instead we have them read a manual, take classes, and pass a test.

> > would be using something other than Windows.
>
> That presupposes that the average user is even aware of the possiblity
> of choice. Most aren't.

As I've said...given a choice I'm willing to bet that most will chose
Windows over a CLI based UNIX system any day.

Josh
Rich Teer
2003-11-23 20:03:55 UTC
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:

> As I've said...given a choice I'm willing to bet that most will chose
> Windows over a CLI based UNIX system any day.

I agree. Now let's bring the question up to the 21st century.
I reckon given a choice, I wouldn't be suprised to see a parity
(or almost parity) between people chosing Windoze and people
chosing a GUI based UNIX system. NB, I said GUI based UNIX,
not CLI based. Unless one deliberately choses not to, I think
all modern UNIX desktops use a GUI, be it CDE, GNOME, KDE, whatever.

BTW, I find GNOME sickenly similar to Windoze; I WANT my iconised
applications on the desktop, NOT some "task bar".

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:03:55 GMT, Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:
>
>> As I've said...given a choice I'm willing to bet that most will chose
>> Windows over a CLI based UNIX system any day.
>
>I agree. Now let's bring the question up to the 21st century.
>I reckon given a choice, I wouldn't be suprised to see a parity
>(or almost parity) between people chosing Windoze and people
>chosing a GUI based UNIX system. NB, I said GUI based UNIX,
>not CLI based. Unless one deliberately choses not to, I think
>all modern UNIX desktops use a GUI, be it CDE, GNOME, KDE, whatever.

Why the focus on which interface is used? Wasn't it my oppositions
position that the average user valued stability over a nice GUI? To my
recollection UNIX is very stable when used with a CLI...perhaps more
so than with a GUI. Assuming that my opponents argument is correct
wouldn't the average user prefer a CLI based UNIX system? Of course
not...they prefer the easier to use GUI even if it comes at a price of
stability. And that's what my position has been since the beginning. I
R A Darth Aggie figured this out and that's why he called me an idiot.
He realized that he couldn't argue the GUI merits of UNIX without
supporting my position. So he decided that the best response he could
give was an attempted character assassination and to leave the
discussion.

Josh

Graham Lee
2003-11-23 21:13:37 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:03:55 GMT, Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Josh McKee wrote:
>>
>>> As I've said...given a choice I'm willing to bet that most will chose
>>> Windows over a CLI based UNIX system any day.
>>
>>I agree. Now let's bring the question up to the 21st century.
>>I reckon given a choice, I wouldn't be suprised to see a parity
>>(or almost parity) between people chosing Windoze and people
>>chosing a GUI based UNIX system. NB, I said GUI based UNIX,
>>not CLI based. Unless one deliberately choses not to, I think
>>all modern UNIX desktops use a GUI, be it CDE, GNOME, KDE, whatever.
>
> Why the focus on which interface is used? Wasn't it my oppositions
> position that the average user valued stability over a nice GUI? To my
> recollection UNIX is very stable when used with a CLI...perhaps more
> so than with a GUI.

UNIX's system model is such that any applications running atop it - such as
a GUI - won't affect the stability. This is one of the many ways in which
it is superior to systems such as Windows.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 21:29:34 UTC
In article <bpr7vd$8gu$***@news.ox.ac.uk>,
Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

> Josh McKee wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:03:55 GMT, Rich Teer <***@rite-group.com>
> > wrote:

> >>I agree. Now let's bring the question up to the 21st century.
> >>I reckon given a choice, I wouldn't be suprised to see a parity
> >>(or almost parity) between people chosing Windoze and people
> >>chosing a GUI based UNIX system. NB, I said GUI based UNIX,
> >>not CLI based. Unless one deliberately choses not to, I think
> >>all modern UNIX desktops use a GUI, be it CDE, GNOME, KDE, whatever.
> >
> > Why the focus on which interface is used? Wasn't it my oppositions
> > position that the average user valued stability over a nice GUI? To my
> > recollection UNIX is very stable when used with a CLI...perhaps more
> > so than with a GUI.
>
> UNIX's system model is such that any applications running atop it - such as
> a GUI - won't affect the stability. This is one of the many ways in which
> it is superior to systems such as Windows.

You don't need to explain this to me. I know UNIX quite well. But a CLI
is less complicated than a GUI. Increased complexity can lead to
instability. Therefore when I say "...perhaps more so than with a GUI" I
am referring to the less complex nature of the CLI.

Josh
Graham Lee
2003-11-22 20:08:46 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2003 19:07:36 GMT, ***@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:
>
>>Until very recently, I'd never used Windows in anger, having started on
>>windowing interfaces with the Xerox Star and Interlisp and moving from
>>there to Unix systems, mostly Sun. To this day, I find Windows
>>confusing and frustrating, sometimes to the point of incoherent rage.
>
> What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?

Not everyone finds the same interface 'friendly'. Look at the Start Menu,
for instance (especially the new-style one), and tell met how many people
find that more friendly than a dock or launchpad interface. Not me, for
one.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Josh McKee
2003-11-22 20:32:44 UTC
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:08:46 +0000, Graham Lee
<***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

>Josh McKee wrote:
>
>> On 22 Nov 2003 19:07:36 GMT, ***@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:
>>
>>>Until very recently, I'd never used Windows in anger, having started on
>>>windowing interfaces with the Xerox Star and Interlisp and moving from
>>>there to Unix systems, mostly Sun. To this day, I find Windows
>>>confusing and frustrating, sometimes to the point of incoherent rage.
>>
>> What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?
>>

>Not everyone finds the same interface 'friendly'.

I would agree. And I would bet that the majority of people are going
to find the Windows interface much more friendly than the majority of
UNIX interfaces.

>Look at the Start Menu, for instance (especially the new-style one), and tell met
>how many people find that more friendly than a dock or launchpad interface. Not
>me, for one.

Interesting that both Gnome and KDE have a similar feature. But
seriously...does the Start Menu bring you to the point of "incoherent
rage"?

josh
Graham Lee
2003-11-23 12:36:49 UTC

Josh McKee wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:08:46 +0000, Graham Lee
> <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:
>
>>Josh McKee wrote:

>>> What is frustrating about the user friendliness of Windows?
>>>

>>Not everyone finds the same interface 'friendly'.
>
> I would agree. And I would bet that the majority of people are going
> to find the Windows interface much more friendly than the majority of
> UNIX interfaces.

OK, let's keep that on board, then look at your comment below....

>>Look at the Start Menu, for instance (especially the new-style one), and
>>tell met
>>how many people find that more friendly than a dock or launchpad
>>interface. Not me, for one.
>
> Interesting that both Gnome and KDE have a similar feature.

If they are so similar, what makes the Windows one so much more friendly?
It lacks the slick animation, transparency and antialiasing of the KDE
system, to choose but one example. It can't be the speed either; even in
the installation program the pull-down menus of Windows are frustratingly
slow.

> But
> seriously...does the Start Menu bring you to the point of "incoherent
> rage"?

I have never claimed that any graphical user interface does so; you are
perhaps confusing me with another poster in this thread? The Start Menu
*really* frustrated me in 1995 when it was introduced; I much preferred the
user interfaces of Workbench, NEXTSTEP and OS/2[*]. Over time I became
used to it, and my frustration abated somewhat though I am still aware that
it's a particularly losing implementation of a graphical user interface.
This, along with the instability of the Operating System, is why I have
chosen to use other operating systems such as GNU/Linux, NEXTSTEP and
Solaris.

I'm glad that Apple have seen sense and continued the OPENSTEP system,
updated the user interface. It would seem that I'm not the only person
too; figures that I've been quoted[**] suggest that Apple's market share in
Britain has risen tenfold since the introduction of OS X. This suggests
that a significant number of people are also frustrated by Windows, and
that more people than before are deciding to do something about it.

There's an important point that has largely been ignored throughout this
thread: everybody does not use Windows because it is a friendly[***] or
stable system; everybody uses Windows because everybody uses Windows.
Except that many people are becoming dissatisfied by this arrangement.
Which is presumably why the next version of Windows is going to be so long
in coming; I'd guess that Microshaft have realised that it'd better be good
enough from the word 'Start' otherwise the dissatisfied people are going to
start Thinking Different[TM].

[*]The latter was not a familiarity thing as I had only used OS/2 for a
total of a couple of hours. It was just so much more sensible. For the
Solaris types here who are not familiar with OS/2: the Launchpad was a
non-braindead implementation of CDE's Front Panel, kindof.
[**]Admittedly by people who work for Apple ;)
[***]How 'friendly' is it to try and lock your customers into your software
only? Or to make it difficult to remove non-critical components from the
system, including those unrelated to the OS? Or to be one of the very few
commerical OSs not to include a development environment? Or to provide
substandard software at point of sale, distributing patches as and when you
feel like it, charging for said patches[****]?
[****]I think specifically of the entire home branch of Windows, which was
shockingly crap at 95, slightly bugfixed at 95OSR2, GUI tweaked at 98, more
bugfixed (to the 'OK' but still unstable point) at 98SE, then managed to go
back downhill for ME. Mind you, Apple did a similar thing going from
Cheetah to Puma, but that was a free upgrade to Cheetah users by way of
apology.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Josh McKee
2003-11-23 14:54:38 UTC
In article <bpq9mb$qfq$***@news.ox.ac.uk>,
Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

> Josh McKee wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:08:46 +0000, Graham Lee
> > <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:

> >>Not everyone finds the same interface 'friendly'.
> >
> > I would agree. And I would bet that the majority of people are going
> > to find the Windows interface much more friendly than the majority of
> > UNIX interfaces.
>
> OK, let's keep that on board, then look at your comment below....
>

> >>Look at the Start Menu, for instance (especially the new-style one), and
> >>tell met
> >>how many people find that more friendly than a dock or launchpad
> >>interface. Not me, for one.
> >
> > Interesting that both Gnome and KDE have a similar feature.
>
> If they are so similar, what makes the Windows one so much more friendly?

Windows provides a more polished and user friendly interface. Does this
make a big difference? I think so. Have you ever used Lotus Notes and
Microsoft Exchange with Outlook? I don't know what IBM was thinking when
they wrote Notes. The UI certainly isn't user friendly. It has
functionality but it's much more difficult to work with than Outlook.

UNIX is catching up (save for OS X which is already there). The Linux
desktops aren't quite ready for the average user.

> It lacks the slick animation, transparency and antialiasing of the KDE
> system, to choose but one example. It can't be the speed either; even in
> the installation program the pull-down menus of Windows are frustratingly
> slow.

On what kind of system? Actually, don't answer that. The whole
discussion has gotten off topic.

My original point was that UNIX has limitations that are tied to its
roots. And it seems that many in this newsgroup are perfectly willing to
have the user adapt to the system instead of having the system adapt to
the user. One person in particular even went so far as to call the user
a luser because they had the audacity to expect the system to work for
them. That's why I commented that Windows was doing so well. Microsoft
understands what the users want. Windows isn't perfect but it appears to
give the users what *they* want. The adoption of several different GUI's
for various UNIX systems is an attempt to give the users what they want.
They're making progress but they're not quite there yet. To many rough
edges.

> > But
> > seriously...does the Start Menu bring you to the point of "incoherent
> > rage"?
>
> I have never claimed that any graphical user interface does so; you are
> perhaps confusing me with another poster in this thread?

No confusion...just asking you if it did.

Josh

Josh McKee
2003-11-22 15:32:36 UTC
In article <***@callisto>,
Chris Newport <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

> On Friday 21 November 2003 11:57 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Josh McKee wrote:
>
> > In article <***@callisto>,
> > Chris Newport <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:

> >> A severe lack of understanding of the Unix sysadmin cultural heritage,
> >> combined with a total lack of any sense of humour.
> >> This is comp.sys.sun.admin which is intended as a forum for Solaris
> >> sysadmins. Maybe you do not belong to this illustrious profession
> >> of caffiene addicted denizens of the data centre ?.
> >>
> >> Perhaps a google of the BOFH archives would enlighten you, but a
> >> sense of humour is a prerequisite.
> >
> > A usual your inability to answer the question isn't surprising.
>
> You just dont get it, do you?

Apparently I don't.

> Every question has been answered.

Where? As far as I can tell you have avoided addressing my questions.

> Maybe you lack the wit to understand.

I doubt that's it.

> Maybe you are trolling.
> There are none so deaf as those who will not hear.

I'm listening...there's just nothing to hear.

Josh
Graham Lee
2003-11-22 01:00:48 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> In article <bplro6$a6p$***@news.ox.ac.uk>,
> Graham Lee <***@wadham.oxford.ac.invalid.uk> wrote:
>
>> Josh McKee wrote:

>> > Spin it any way that you want. The word "luser" appears to be
>> > synonymous with "loser".
>> >

>> Only if you deliberately fail to take into account all of the
>> explanations
>> about their differences given in this froup as well as elsewhere. Which
>> you're perfectly entitled to do of course; just don't expect everyone
>> else to do it too ;).
>
> What differences? I haven't seen anything that demonstrates that lusers
> isn't just a different wording for "losers". The quote you provided:
>
> "It went from saying "x users logged in" when you pressed C-z, to saying
> "x losers logged in". Some users, apparently, didn't like being called
> losers, so the compromise "lusers" was reached. It stuck."
>
> Appears to demonstrate that the spelling was changed from "losers" to
> "lusers" as a result of a compromise. Perhaps I'm missing something but
> the compromise appears to be just as insulting as the original. The only
> thing that changed was the spelling. What compromised was reached? Why
> not change it back to "x users"? Am I missing something?
>
> Josh

That wasn't the only definition given, was it? What about the one you
quoted above? BTW, I would tend to agree with Chris Newport here: you may
not think that the standard BOFH humour is particularly funny, but it's
standard in a de facto way. So many of us will be using it. I'm afraid
that funny or not it will need some getting used to :)

Graham.

--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner
2003-11-24 16:14:40 UTC
Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
> The problem I have is Chris' portrayal of the user as a loser because
> they wish to use something more descriptive.

No one commented on this, but I think this is the philosophical
crux of the matter. The username is not supposed to be descriptive, it's
supposed to be a unique identifier. If you want descriptive, that's what
the GECOS field is for.

"As a general rule, I am adamantly opposed to using full names as
e-mail addresses, since they are not in any sense unique. For example,
the Unix software-development community has two Andy Tannenbaums,
at least two well-known Peter Deutsches, and at one time Bell Labs
had two Stephen R. Bournes with offices along the same hallway."
-- Eric Allman
Josh McKee
2003-11-25 00:42:37 UTC
In article <bptapg$3l8$***@reader2.panix.com>,
Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <***@panix.com> wrote:

> Josh McKee <***@rm-bogus-ac.net> wrote:
> > The problem I have is Chris' portrayal of the user as a loser because
> > they wish to use something more descriptive.
>
> No one commented on this, but I think this is the philosophical
> crux of the matter. The username is not supposed to be descriptive,

Why not? Especially if that's what the users want.

> it's supposed to be a unique identifier. If you want descriptive, that's what
> the GECOS field is for.

Users don't log in with their GECOS field.

> "As a general rule, I am adamantly opposed to using full names as
> e-mail addresses, since they are not in any sense unique. For example,
> the Unix software-development community has two Andy Tannenbaums,
> at least two well-known Peter Deutsches, and at one time Bell Labs
> had two Stephen R. Bournes with offices along the same hallway."
> -- Eric Allman

Eric should learn to listen to the user and not force his opinion on
them. The user is the customer. We shouldn't lose sight of that. Phone
books listen numbers by full names. Why should e-mail addresses be any
different? If there's a discrepency that's easily solved by appending a
numerical count to someones name.

Josh
Graham Lee
2003-11-19 10:40:34 UTC
Josh McKee wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:55:09 +0000, Chris Newport
> <***@see-my-sig.invalid> wrote:
>

>>If your lusers want a long email name use a mail alias.
>
> Why are you calling them lusers? Shouldn't the system accommodate the
> user instead of the user accommodating the system?

<offtopic>An old BOFH-ism, which I think goes back to a hacked report
program (similar to finger, I expect) on an ITS system. It went from
saying "x users logged in" when you pressed C-z, to saying "x losers logged
in". Some users, apparently, didn't like being called losers, so the
compromise "lusers" was reached. It stuck.

ISTR the help command on ITS was duly renamed "luser", too :)</offtopic>

I've just gone in and hacked the passwd stuff on a passing Solaris 8
machine. If you have a luser with a stupid name (such as 'ihavelongname'),
then they *can* log in and *can* change their password. I did so and the
updated passwd entry doesn't get truncated. What you don't seem able to
do, however, is to log in as 'ihavelon'; the 8-character truncated version
of 'ihavelongname'.

*HOWEVER*, that's not to say you should do it. Who knows how big the buffer
is in programs such as login, passwd, etc; usernames are designed to be 8
characters long and one shouldn't rock the boat. Also, who knows what kind
of problems it could lead to should you require your Solaris systems to
interoperate with anyone else's UNIX.
--
Graham Lee
Wadham College
Oxford
Greg Andrews
2003-11-19 06:29:51 UTC
***@see-my-sig.invalid writes:
>On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:20 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Lukas Ruf wrote:
>
>> does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on Solairs
>> 6,7,8 and above?
>>
>> Once, I was told that they are limited to 8 characters. Is this
>> true?
>
>Thus is not a Solaris issue, it is a Unix standard.

And then in a later post "***@see-my-sig.invalid" writes that some
Unix implementations support longer names, others don't.

Solaris can be said to support long usernames because nothing in
the base OS breaks on them. The "bugs" which people refer to are
almost always things like information in the output of ps not
being in nice columns, as with short names. I call these annoyances
rather than bugs.

Some other programs (that you download from the Internet rather than
come with Solaris) may break, but I haven't run into any yet.

It doesn't have to be a problem, as long as you can live with the
annoyances that long usernames produce.

(note I've only commented on usernames, not on passwords or other things)

-Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.
Lukas Ruf
2003-11-19 09:20:18 UTC
Greg Andrews wrote:
> ***@see-my-sig.invalid writes:
> >On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:20 pm in comp.sys.sun.admin Lukas Ruf
> >wrote:
> >
> >> does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on
> >> Solairs 6,7,8 and above?
> >>

> Solaris can be said to support long usernames because nothing in
> the base OS breaks on them. The "bugs" which people refer to are
> almost always things like information in the output of ps not being
> in nice columns, as with short names. I call these annoyances
> rather than bugs.

Thanks for the clarification!

I do not care about cosmetic annoyances when it comes to system
reliability and stability.

> Some other programs (that you download from the Internet rather
> than come with Solaris) may break, but I haven't run into any yet.

As long as the base system -- i.e. more specifically: the kernel,
mountd, automountd, nis+ etc. -- is running stable, I am fine with it!

> It doesn't have to be a problem, as long as you can live with the
> annoyances that long usernames produce.

I can, definitely! ;-)

> (note I've only commented on usernames, not on passwords or other
> things)

what's the issue there?

Thanks for any further enlightenment!

Lukas Ruf <ruf at rawip dot org>
Neil W Rickert
2003-11-20 03:01:16 UTC
Lukas Ruf <***@rawip.org> writes:
>Greg Andrews wrote:

>> Solaris can be said to support long usernames because nothing in
>> the base OS breaks on them. The "bugs" which people refer to are
>> almost always things like information in the output of ps not being
>> in nice columns, as with short names. I call these annoyances
>> rather than bugs.

>Thanks for the clarification!

>I do not care about cosmetic annoyances when it comes to system
>reliability and stability.

>As long as the base system -- i.e. more specifically: the kernel,
>mountd, automountd, nis+ etc. -- is running stable, I am fine with it!

>> (note I've only commented on usernames, not on passwords or other
>> things)

>what's the issue there?

I am finding that when users give a password longer than 8 characters
(when changing passwords), it breaks. The password change itself is
fine (uses the first 8 characters). But the NIS+ credentials seem to
break.
Casper H.S. Dik
2003-11-20 10:50:49 UTC
Neil W Rickert <rickert+***@cs.niu.edu> writes:

>I am finding that when users give a password longer than 8 characters
>(when changing passwords), it breaks. The password change itself is
>fine (uses the first 8 characters). But the NIS+ credentials seem to
>break.

That's a bug; (OS release/patch version?)

Casper
Neil W Rickert
2003-11-21 05:32:55 UTC
Casper H.S. Dik <***@Sun.COM> writes:
>Neil W Rickert <rickert+***@cs.niu.edu> writes:

>>I am finding that when users give a password longer than 8 characters
>>(when changing passwords), it breaks. The password change itself is
>>fine (uses the first 8 characters). But the NIS+ credentials seem to
>>break.

>That's a bug; (OS release/patch version?)

SunOS euclid 5.8 Generic_108528-23

That kernel patch may not be the appropriate one. However, I did
install the recommended patch cluster at the same time. The patch
cluster was downloaded Aug 4th. I think the problem existed before
that round of patches. It was probably introduced in the first half
of this year.

I'm not sure how to reproduce. I tried with a test account, and
had no problems. However, I have had several users with
password and credentials out of sync:

I changed password and regenerated credentials.

Checked that all worked.

Asked the user to change the password back to the one
they wanted.

Checked.

The credentials were bad (nisping was done before the check,
to make sure all systems up to date).

This was repeated, with the same result.

On the third try I asked the user to give only the first 8
characters of the password. That time everything worked
fine.

Since I don't ask users to tell me their passwords, I don't have a
value I can use to reproduce the problem.
Alan Coopersmith
2003-11-20 00:33:33 UTC
***@panix.com (Greg Andrews) writes in comp.sys.sun.admin:
|Solaris can be said to support long usernames because nothing in
|the base OS breaks on them.

But Sun does not guarantee they will work, and you may not be able to
get bugs fixed if you find programs they don't work with. If you have
a support contract and think this should change, ask to be added to the
list of customers requesting RFE 4109819.

Neil W Rickert
2003-11-20 02:57:38 UTC
***@panix.com (Greg Andrews) writes:

>Solaris can be said to support long usernames because nothing in
>the base OS breaks on them. The "bugs" which people refer to are
>almost always things like information in the output of ps not
>being in nice columns, as with short names. I call these annoyances
>rather than bugs.

The "passwd" command breaks. Perhaps this only happens with NIS+.

You can get around the problem with

passwd $USER
Alan Coopersmith
2003-11-19 03:02:50 UTC
Lukas Ruf <***@rawip.org> writes in comp.sys.sun.admin:
|does anybody know what is the maximal length of usernames on Solairs
|6,7,8 and above?
|Once, I was told that they are limited to 8 characters. Is this
|true?

8 is the officially supported maximum length. Longer ones mostly work,
but there are various known bugs and issues with them.